Photography classes?

Jimmy1234

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been contenplating taking photography classes. I dont want to take online classes because I need a hands on approach. I think I might want to actually go to a class room, or something. Do you guys think its worth it? and if so anyone have a schools to recomend in Arizona?

Price isnt a problem, because I get college classes free from the Military!

Check out the classes at the local community colleges. I know Collins College has a photo program but costs an arm and a leg.

I am taking some classes now at the University of Georgia through thier continuing education program... not sure about Arizona, but the prices are pretty decent and the technical aspects I'm learning as well as being able to probe inside the mind of one of my professors who has been a professional in photography for 30+ years is definately worth it in my opinion... of course, I 'm very new to photography (my prior experience was mostly disposable point and shoot cameras of the past :lol:). I have found the learning curve for the technical aspects of digital to be going must faster than I anticiapted with classroom experience. That's my 2 cents!

Good luck!

Do you have to start out in film, and learn to develop it? I understand the reason behind it.. however I dont think that would be relevant for me because I will never have a film camera!

It depends on what class you are taking.

Once you get in the darkroom it can get kind of addicting...it is fun to work with film and the actual shooting/assignments for the class will still teach you solid photographic techniques. I also like the technical challenges of composing and shooting in film and making it come out right the first time, without using tons of post-processing (again, this will make you better at using any camera).

Now that I am shooting all digital I am developing a hankering to move into medium format film :)

I think that unless you are looking for accreditation, you should consider an online course. Online courses also encourage you to have a very hands on approach and at least for the basics are more than adequate.

Check out www.proudphotography.com , they have a very nice beginner course and the instructors there are very good. Another factor is price, they are very reasonable for what you get.

I know that there were several people here that took the course there (I was one of them), and no one had anything negative and lots of positive to say about it.

Check it out. :)

the local community college is a great place to start looking as suggested above. when i took classes at my local college, they only offered film. even though you think it may not be relevant, it will still teach you a lot about the basics (aperture, shutter, iso, depth of field, etc...) along with giving you really good ideas for photo shoots. if the class is liek most others, you will also get to show the class what you have done, and then get some really good feedback from them on how to improve. film is also fun and we were allowed to use the darkroom at anytime during the day.

I'll put in another recommendation for the local community college. Mine has beginner, intermediate and advanced classes. They also offer "digital darkroom" classes to teach post-processing techniques. I've never taken an online class so I can't give any feedback about that. I think going to a classroom is nice though, you can get immediate help from your instructor or other students and maybe meet other people to talk and take pictures with. And as stated above, you usually get some critique about your own work and get to look at everyone else's.

I think that unless you are looking for accreditation, you should consider an online course. Online courses also encourage you to have a very hands on approach and at least for the basics are more than adequate.

:)

what do you meen by accreditation?? meaning do I want to make money doing this? well I might want to. I am in the military now, and I need a job when I retire in 10 years. thats why I am looking into this. My wife is a cosmotolegist, and I think we could do something together!

By the way. Thanks for all the advise. thats why I joined this site!

what do you meen by accreditation?? meaning do I want to make money doing this? well I might want to. I am in the military now, and I need a job when I retire in 10 years. thats why I am looking into this. My wife is a cosmotolegist, and I think we could do something together!

By the way. Thanks for all the advise. thats why I joined this site!

You should cross train into the Photographer position you will learn alot at tech school. check out 3N0X4 though its hard to get it.

If you want to take classes just to know more about photography then I would recommend you just watch youtube videos. It is free, more information available, professional photographers in different niches, watch on your own time, etc. If you want a paper saying you took photography courses then just go to a community college or such.

Most reactions

Back