Photography Conference?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Who has been to a photography conference? What did you think of it? How much did it cost? Was it worth the cost?

Thinking of going to the NECCC conference this summer. One of my favorite photographer's is presenting and there are several sessions that I'm interested in. Just curious what others experiences have been like?

The last one I was at was PPOC in Vancouver about six years ago. It was about $450 for the three days plus hotel, meals, ferry... all totaled, close to $1000. There were some excellent presentations, but not worth the cost overall.

The last one I was at was PPOC in Vancouver about six years ago. It was about $450 for the three days plus hotel, meals, ferry... all totaled, close to $1000. There were some excellent presentations, but not worth the cost overall.

Thanks - good point about the other costs involved in attending. I think I'm ok with those. I have plenty of hotel points to use for my room and it's over a weekend so I'd be likely eating out/buying meals even if I was at home. It's about a 2 hour drive to the conference location from here so a tank of gas...

I'm mostly interested in if you thought the registration fee and any session fees were worth it for what you got out of the conference itself. They haven't posted the registration fee yet but if it's similar to last year it will be about $250 and then $60-$75 for break out sessions which I would probably attend 2 or 3 so right in line with the $450 you referenced.

I've went to one a year for the last three years. They are a local one that the Camera store puts on but it is two day with some big name speakers and a trade show. The cost here has been under $100 each time. I have really learned a lot from it. Speakers I have heard from: Sue Bryce, Moose Peterson, Joe McNally, Peter Read Miller, Sandy Puc, and a couple others that escape my mind at the moment.

Getting to spend a couple of days learning and talking with other creatives has been a real inspiration to me.

This year they are going to have Peter Hurly bit I will not be able to attend due to prior commitments. (I'm really bummed because I wanted to see him.)

Not photography conferences but i go to conferences for work and don't generally consider them worthwhile but i'm not all that involved or passionate about what i do. I do get to go to comic con as well as other public library conferences. I'm not buying large machinery or even overpriced small stuff or even appropriately priced small things... I suppose i do get some ideas of books to buy at comic con. Library cons I'm sort of about the presentations but even then most doesn't apply to what i actually do and is again overpriced or unrealistic to implement. Like oh how about we all become computer programmers or award winning film producer/ librarians. I may still try a podcast. I know a guy who goes to tree worker trade shows and loves looking at all the chainsaws. Photography stuff may be interesting to go to.

I have been to other conferences outside of photography, if this is similar then majority of people attending are members of clubs that are part of this club council.

I usually go for one paid Workshop and then some of the Sessions and Presentations that are included in the Conference fee. At a conference like this I would favor a Workshop using the camera over one covering post processing.

Networking is usually the main reason I go to a conference. The Workshops and Sessions alone are usually too short to justify the cost of the conference.

Also -- I see where the NECCC lets each member club send one person with free registration.

Most reactions

Back