Photography Course ?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ernie90, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ernie90

ernie90 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Does anyone have any advice on a good intro course please ?

2. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    can you be a bit more vague?

are you looking for classroom, online, dvd, book,...?

I can give you a good intro course, but do you want to travel to Montreal?

3. ernie90

ernie90 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the reply, I was trying to ask which type of course would best suit a novice,on-line, 1to 1, etc.
    Montreal a little far but thanks for the offer ;-)

4. Tappout

Tappout TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would recommend checking your local community college. They are usually very cost reasonable and have several options for schedules and classes.

5. Pugs

Pugs TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For a novice, one-on-one is generally the most productive, but that's asking a lot of someone's time. If you can find a mentor willing to do that, go for it. Otherwise, I'd check out a class at a community college as mentioned. One of the benefits of a class environment is hearing C&C from a lot of different points of view, even if they are all beginners (other than the instructor, I hope). Also, I think you'll find that giving C&C really helps to solidify concepts in your head and define YOUR preferences and style.

Online would be a waste of time in my opinion.

6. Bambi

Bambi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    check out local photography stores-they often have something or know where they are.

I would LOVE to travel to Montreal to take your course Bigtwinky (can we do St. Catherine's street???) :lmao:

In terms of online you can do a search on youtube and get all kinds of free tips and techniques. There are also websites with podcasts that are excellent. There are also blogs. I am not sure of the rules regarding linking to other sites on this forum so I won't. But you can P.M me if you like.

7. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Everyone has a different way of learning. I actually seem to enjoy typically structured courses, teacher in front, etc.

Others, like my wife, excell when they are in a more mentor/tutor kind of learning system.

Getting private courses from a good photographer who can teach is your best bet, but the most expensive.

Camera stores often offer courses for novices, but I find that these are packed with people who really are just there to get quick info on how to shoot masterpieces with their P&S cameras.

I would lean towards going to a college locally and seeing what they offer. I went to a university here in Montreal who offered a Photography diploma at night. 1 course = 4 hours per week for 10 weeks. And there are 9 courses to be taken. It does cost me a few hundred per course, but I'm not only learning with hands on, I'm also making great contacts with other photographers and such as we are usually the same 10-12 people we see in the courses

8. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haven't been to one in awhile but I always learned a lot whenever I attended a "Nikon School"

9. MosaicW

MosaicW TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Take a look at Photo Workshops; New York, Miami, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco | Digital Photo Academy

They offer 1 day classes (usually a Saturday) in various cities and are taught by local photographers there. It's sponsored by Panasonic Lumix but you can attend no matter what camera brand you own. They're pretty reasonable... I took a 2 hour composition class and a 4 hour intermediate class back-to-back for $100 total. The classes are small-- like 6 people-- which means there's plenty of time for you to ask all the questions you want, no matter how stupid :drool: (the most useful part!). I just signed up for the all-day advanced class which takes you on a photo shoot then back to the studio for critique so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm also looking into Nikon school, since that's what I use-
    Nikon School - Photography Education
    Looks like a huge-class setting but probably still worth it since it'd be so specific to my camera.

Hope this helps... Good luck!!! :smileys:

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With all the books available and all the info online, I don't see the need to take a course.

A year ago I knew nothing about photography and I've learned a TON since then by reading some books and using various photography forums. Why not save the $ you'd use on a class by teaching yourself?

11. Pugs

Pugs TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Different learning styles? Benefit of quick feedback?

12. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Books let you learn at your own pace. One can get instantaneous feedback on the web.