Photography crediting

nrdm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm trying to start assemble some of my better images for a portfolio of my work. The other day I did a studio shot for a friends business. The model asked if she could have the shots, and I think its fine and all, but how should I go about this?
Should I let her view all the photos and let her chose which ones she wants? Should they be the original image or a smaller version of the file? And I would like to be credited as taking the images, should I watermark them in the corner or something??
Anything else I should know just say so. Thanks!

Do you plan on charging her???

I wasn't planning on it from the start, but then I started thinking of the possibility. She was already (well) paid for the shoot, but I'm not sure if that should impact my desicion.
I'm sure others have some advice so I'm open to all suggestions!

I would (and this is just my personal feelings) not give the model a file. I like to feel like i'm in contol of my work and you never know what someone will do to your stuff. I usually make people prints if they want pictures (and i do charge for those... it costs to have them printed right?) when i absolutely have to give digital files, i us pdf's (password protected) and the filenames are copyrightmyname with the date i took the picture.

Is that paranoid??

why not trade her a few prints for a model release of the images for your portfolio?

Just labeld the back with your watermark so you get credit for the images.

If she didn't work for free prints then why should you supply such, charge her the full rate for prints and keep your files to yourself, the files are your copyright protected images, if she has signed a release, which she should have, then you can use these shots for any purpose you wish.

There's too many who think this type of work costs nothing, it costs in time, your time is a valuable commodity, do nothing for nothing. H

I always make the full resolution images available to my models, without watermarks and without restrictions, as compensation for sitting for me, which I don't pay them for. I do not simply give them all of the images I've taken, only the ones I've edited and found worthy to place on my site.

Watermarking the images isn't necessary. Pride is a much greater incentive than money in a lot of ways and models will quickly point out who did the work because they like the results. If they didn't like the results, they wouldn't want the photos in the first place.

If you pay your models, you should have an agreement with them up front about what they'll receive, if anything, included in the deal. I don't really mind if models take the images I've made and print thousands of copies and staple them to telephone poles around town; free advertising! If, however, the work is on commission, such as modeling clothing or something, there might be other restrictions you have to keep in mind.

Pride is a much greater incentive than money...

Depends if you're an amature or if have a burning desire to use photography to pay the bills. :D

If it was a Quid Pro Quo deal then yes I'd give them photos for their portfolio in exchange for them sitting for mine, but you mentioned she got paid, a very professional way to go about it. Most pros I know would be happy to hand over prints for a price. Few would give up the source files though. Mind you I don't know that many.

Thanks for the replies. Still not sure how I'll handle the situation, but I got plenty of ideas. Next time I'll be sure to have it planned out ahead of time.

Most reactions

Back