Photography Diploma

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
Hey All!

Well I am currently at Sixth Form (Year 12) and I am taking ICT, Business Studies & Media Studies. I am also going to pay and do a Photography Diploma in my spare time. But unsure once i have passed and got my diploma what i the next step is? Anyone got any ideas? Join a company, set up on my own or what??

All ideas and opinions wanted! :D

I assume you mean to become a photographer?

First you have to decide what type of photographer you want to be. I know studio photographers of different sorts tend to start as a photographers assistant, this job entails booking studios, making sure all the logistics of a shoot are sorted, etc in studio anythnig from cleaning the toilet to make sure it's ok for a client to use to going and buying snacks for them, taking light meterings, changing film/d/lding pictures to a laptop and other things. Most photographers can't afford to have a full time assistant so many assistants fee lance. I think then over time photographers may allow you to take a few shots or whatever.

Photojorunalism I think will be different. I suppose the best thing would be to contact a newspaper and see how people go about it. Pretty much all photojorunalists are freelance I believe.

The answer to your dilemma lies with you. What is it you would like to do?
You don't have to be precise. Just a vague direction you would like to head towards.

Photography Diploma in your spare time? What Diploma would that be?

i've been wondering the same thing (only slightly different ;) )

i've mainly come to the conclusion that it depends on you, your preferences, and your surroundings (as hertz said). i'd personally love doing any type :D

Well i have got to pay around £220 and work through a lesson plan by myself. As i have dropped a subject at sixth form I hope to do this in my Free Lessons.

I'm unsure what sort of photographer I want to be. I really like the idea of photographing for Newspapers but also like the idea of a Studio, but my own studio not a crapy assistant.

So anymore thoughts anyone??

cbay said:
...but also like the idea of a Studio, but my own studio not a crapy assistant.
I worked for a while as a 'crappy assistant'. I learned more doing it than I learned at College. I would also assist better photographers than me when I was working in my own right. Only when work was thin on the ground - but I learned even more by doing it. And I wasn't the only photographer who did it, either.
Do not be dismissive about being an assistant. I suspect you have never been one.
Setting yourself up in business as a photographer with a studio is an expensive and precarious business.
What things do you need to know? What contacts do you have who will give you work? How do you deal with clients? With laboratories? How can you keep creditors happy when you owe them lots and have a bit of a cash flow problem?
Trying to find the answers to these questions on your own presents a steep learning curve - and at the bottom of the hill is Mr Bankruptcy. Someone you do not want to meet.
As an assistant you can be told the answer to all these questions and to many more - and you get paid to do it as well as running no personal risks.

You did not tell me what Photography Diploma you are considering. I live in the UK and have not only taught courses, but have written them as well. I may well be able to tell you if doing the Diploma you are considering is worthwhile or a waste of your time.

cbay said:
Well i have got to pay around £220 and work through a lesson plan by myself. As i have dropped a subject at sixth form I hope to do this in my Free Lessons.

I'm unsure what sort of photographer I want to be. I really like the idea of photographing for Newspapers but also like the idea of a Studio, but my own studio not a crapy assistant.

So anymore thoughts anyone??

I know the feeling, but not all assistant work is "Crappy"
Im 17, and in upper sixth to you, and I work as an assistant at a stuidio, I make up friends, and go to weddings (Taking pictures, me and my boss share carying the equipment) and I simply go off and do my own thing.
I really dont think you can jump straight into it...youll have to buy a buisness, so youll have to pay, I dunno, 75k? then you have to get work, dont think works gonna walk in the door, you need staff, more money to maintain equipment.
If you wanna be a newspaper photographger...you mnay still need to be an assistant, just find the newspapers that take freelance work :)...and tell me who they are :p

All I know is that to become a photogrpaher you usually have to pay your dues. And then some before you earn anything like good money. I read up a bt and being an assistant is how alot of phtoographers start.

I too am planning to get a Continueing Education Diploma in Photography however, I also know once I complete all elements of the courses, I will NOT be a photographer. Not even close.

The way to become a photographer is complete the course, and then apprentice with a Master Photographer and earn your chops while you learn from a true professional.

I hope to enter into photography as a career even though I am closing in on 50 (I'm 49 today...happy b-day to me) but I also know to become a true professional, I am looking at at least a 10 year period before my work can and will be taken seriously.

Get the diploma, find a professional photographer who is willing to teach and mentor you and start your career that way. I honestly believe if you do it like this, you will have a lifelong career and a profitable career as well.

Hey!

Well i am planning on doing a Successful Photography Diploma through "The Regent Academy".

Well I may have to become an assistant then to begin with, but I dont know where to start looking for jobs??

I did have a demostration of a Canon DSLR 350D today though and I was really impressed so I plan on buying one later this week and sell my Fuji S7000 so if anyone is intrested PM me.

Anymore thoughts for me??

i wish i had time to be an assistant wedding photog like you artemis. i envy you.

you may want to just go to prof. photographers in your area that do the type of photography you are interested in and ask them if you can assist them. but then again, i've never done this before, and that may be the worst way of doing it. hey artemis, how did you get your assistant position?

You go through the Yellow Pages and 'phone up all the photographers and ask them if they need an assistant. Even if they say 'no' ask if you can come and talk to them anyway.
They may say yes and they may know of someone who is looking for an assistant and if they like you they might send you along.
You could also try being really keen and say you desperately want to learn and will assist for nothing.
It has been known to work.
It all depends upon how serious you are and how much you want to be a photographer. There is no easy route and it takes perseverance and hard work.

Well i think i may have to start in the Yellow Pages. I placed a FujiFilm S7000 onto eBay but im worried now as want as much for it as possible as most people do for their items but want it to go to a good home. As I need to sell it as i want to buy a Canon 350D. Anyone got any ideas or know anyone whom wants a FujiFilm S7000 whom will look after it?

Most reactions

Back