Photography for beginners..

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've looked at some of the resorces on this page as well as have read some posts, but I'm brand spanking new to photography as well as are a few here. I'll be getting some books when I have the funds, but I was wondering if there was a way to complie basic photo terms and concepts for the noobs here on the forum? Someone just asked a question about different filters and what they do and I myself don't understand the concept of different kinds of film, ISO, rules on lighting and things like that. I'm in no way asking someone to teach a photography 101 course here on the forum. That would be impossible, but some of these terms are brand new for us greenhorns and a few resources/definitions would help us understand.. I don't know if this has been discussed or already done or whatever, but it's just an idea... If it has been done before, sorry for bringing it up again...

I believe there's a thread of definitions on this site. You might locate it with the 'search' function.

A great place to start, though, is your local library. Almost any reasonably recent book with a title like 'The Complete Guide . . .' will do as a starting point. Don't worry overmuch if it deals with film rather than digital. Your library probably has access through a lending network to books other than those in the stacks. Ask the librarian. Libraries are very cost-effective.

In addition to what he's mentioned above, what Torus34 is too modest to point you to is his first installment on Beginner's Photography, which is located on the TPF Front Page.

The next installment will be published next week, and he has hinted there are more to come, so stay tuned. ;) Although specifically written for B&W photography and film, the basics are the basics when it comes to learning exposure. So, check it out!

Unimaxium said:
There used to be a thread stickied in this forum with all kinds of beginner's tips, but it seemed to disappear around the time the forum was last upgraded. Maybe we should start a new one?

Well that was my idea, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back