Photography going green

Oh I get it. Laughing is fine too! The reactions are great. Another article (and no it's not mine).

Nature Photography

Being a more responsible photographer is a choice. There are plenty out there even if you wish not to participate.

And so you know I leave my modeling light from my soft-box on all night as a nightlight.

I also power my Vivitar Flashes with a generator. And I buy rechargeable batteries but I only use them once and then throw them at manatees.

Oh-Huge-Manatee_500x500.jpg

And so you know I leave my modeling light from my soft-box on all night as a nightlight.

I also power my Vivitar Flashes with a generator. And I buy rechargeable batteries but I only use them once and then throw them at manatees.

Oh-Huge-Manatee_500x500.jpg

lmao great find!

Well I love how some buy into the whole going green thing. The whole movement is nothing but a money grab as it is. For my part Im printing on larger paper than I did before. I throw my dead batteries in the trash and, I dumped all of my unused chemicals down the drain. Also I gutted my catalytic converter because it got plugged and, I wasnt about to buy a new one. Now my 4x4 has more power to run through the woods.

Digital isn't green. I love the notion that burning electricity somehow saves the environment. I guess people that think this way don't understand where electricity comes from.
Um, well, actually, I hate to play the devil's advocate in this situation (believe me, I really do), but our electricity up here comes exclusively from hydro power ;)

OH! But don't you know EPP, those terrible dams on the rivers are SO detrimental to the fishies!!:lol:

Well I love how some buy into the whole going green thing. The whole movement is nothing but a money grab as it is. For my part Im printing on larger paper than I did before. I throw my dead batteries in the trash and, I dumped all of my unused chemicals down the drain. Also I gutted my catalytic converter because it got plugged and, I wasnt about to buy a new one. Now my 4x4 has more power to run through the woods.

NUKE THE WHALES!!!

This has to be the lamest article I've ever seen. Reduce chemicals in a darkroom. The darkroom is one place where chemicals last for EVER. I have literally run my home dark room for 1 full year off 2 2L bottles of developer, 2 700mL bottles of fixer, and 1 500mL bottle of essentially soapy water.

Now contrast this to my work where every day we process 90,000 barrels of oil. From this we pull chemicals such as benzine en mass, we have some 100tonnes of hydroflouric acid on site all the time, pull out so much sulphur that we've given up loading it into trucks and now just send it to a dedicated prilling unit, and every time we cut bitumen out of the crude we process it using some massive 20,000L drums of phosphoric acid amongst other chemicals.

And in any case the writer of the article clearly has no idea how circuit boards are manufactured. It's like photography only with far harsher chemicals (usually carcinogens) on layers of fibreglass (the dust of which is a carcinogen), if you're not in Europe containing loads of lead, and coated with a paraxylene dielectric (similar to benzine a carcinogen). Not to mention the chemicals in each components, the environmental impacts of the huge manufacturing plants that build electronics. I highly doubt my mechanical Nikkormat F would have such a big environmental impact :)

But yeah man, throw away that 2L bottle of developer man, save the environment man :hippie: .

but our electricity up here comes exclusively from hydro power ;)

Mine comes from brown coal, what's your point :p

And in any case the writer of the article clearly has no idea how circuit boards are manufactured.

Garbz has hit it on the nail (I see this all the time working the technology field). The one thing I'd like to add is that technology (digital photography is one example) also tends to promote a use it and throw it away type mentality furthering the problem. I recall film shooters using cameras for decades... Digital has a tendency to buy new every year or two.

Its amazing how the inclination is to find a magic bullet.. blindly implementing technology taking center stage very often. Electric vehicles come to mind.

Sometimes the best solution is simply a behavior change along with attitude. The problem with that? It takes work and effort.

Electric vehicles come to mind. .

Indeed, because the manufacture and disposal of 100kg of Lithium batteries is so incredibly environmentally friendly :)

:lmao: Yeah exactly! Just like CFLs when you break those in your home you have a toxic waste spill on your hands and, Im sure everyone is disposing of them properly too. Mercury in your water tables can be the end result and, if you break it on a carpeted area it is in there to stay. So yeah going green is good for you in so many ways.
Now Im not againt seeking viable energy alternatives for our lives. This is because as we all know there is only a finite amount of what we are using now. Just dont call it green to save us from Global Warming. Call it being Oops I forgot it is now Climate Change because we have had a couple of cooler years. Nothing like having to change the name to fit any situation and, when I was a kid it was we were causing Global Cooling and the next Ice Age was nigh. Lets just call it being practical by changing our current use of resources.

What I find very funny,and odd, is that the Canadians I know in the Ontario,Canada area all refer to their electricity as "hydro power", which means NUCLEAR reactor power....

But where I live, we generate most all of our our electricity from "hydro power", which means WATER stored behind dams and then run through huge turbines which generate what we call hydroelectic power.

In Canada, hydro power = nuclear reactor generated electricity

In the Pacific Northwest, hydro power = water-generated electricity

What is hydro power there in Australia, Garbz? I ask because we have TV commericials where a guy who "speaks Australian" says, "Foster's--Australian for beer!" So, if Foster's means "beer" in Australia, I'm wondering what the heck hydro means!:lol:

Digital has a tendency to buy new every year or two.

I think this is more a reflection of modern manufacture practice for the consumer market rather than digital relaited. These days the premise is not on make it as good as you can and last as long as possible - but rather to make it last only so long and to have a few faults/limits - then release a shiny new one for people to rush out and get as the old breaks (of course repair is possible, but the costs for that quickly rise and become uneconomic to have done for hte owner - and thats if the parts are still made).

Digital has a tendency to buy new every year or two.

I think this is more a reflection of modern manufacture practice for the consumer market rather than digital relaited.

Perhaps... but the life cycle of digital products from "new" to "obsolete" is a much tighter cycle than ever before. Another that comes to mind... are those fancy flat screen TVs the public is eating up like hot cakes. The television itself has taken a step backwards in terms of power consumption, life span, and toxic materials. A bit of my hesitation to buy one stems from those factors. That and I can't see myself replacing a perfectly functioning 36 inch Sony Wega CRT even though its 15 years old now.

Must share this info:

Digital cameras are good for the environment

It is funny how an article to suggest ways to be eco-friendly has turned into a discussion on other ways we destroy our world. Maybe that is what is wrong (unwillingness to change) with people today. They are not open to suggestions to try to make a small difference. Just live your life as it is. We all will be dead in before any major impact is felt. Well that is until there is a possibility of your life being cut short due to environmental illnesses.

From what I saw people were giving legitimate debate to the suggestions and backing up their perspective with real information about what the average consumer doesn't see. Would it make sense to kill 2 seals just to save a manatee? Perhaps if you never knew that the seals were being killed in the process you would think you were just doing so much to help the manatees, but in the long run you're really just killing seals.

Most reactions

Back