Photography in a small town

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do any of you have pictures in seemingly boring towns? I don't currently have a car, but I still want to take some pictures, but I'm limited to a small, pretty boring area. I need some inspiration.

Are you out in the country at all? Farms are awesome and so are landscape photographs. A lot of my shots are inspired Michael Johnson, here's a link: http://www.michaeljohnsonphotography.com/

His stuff isn't digital but using PS you can achieve the same kinda affects.

Just keep your eyes out. Sometimes things that are seemingly boring make great pictures. Sometimes the simple things are best...less is more.

i live in a small, VERY boring town.. but i love taking pictures of small town people... its fun just to walk "downtown" and take pictures of people... also i find small towns a great place to work on landscape photography.. and the token "artsy shots"

No good landscapes here, and no old farms. There's one area that looks good, but it's fenced off. With barbed wire. Thanks for the link, it looks pretty good!

I hate to say it, but chris is right. I've almost gotten arested a few times. But hey, if that shot is worth it get it. Except in my case I got it, loved it, lost it...... yeah... don't loose the shot that almost gets you arrested. EVER

I don't even know how good the shot would be, sadly. I might try it once it snows.

There has to be something to photograph everywhere.

I live out in the country. I have the normal farms that I can shoot (old barns scattered around north western PA is one of my favorite things to capture) as well as I love shooting the various old bridges.

I pass the following nearly every day. It's out in the middle of nowhere. Some guy just collects junk and adds the junk to this constantly. I've been waiting to see him there so I can stop and ask permission to be on his property to photograph it. This thing will produce probably hundreds of photos as there is so much there, much more than is pictured. I grabbed some quick shots driving past in the car....

20080302Rt38displayDSCF2566.jpg

20080302Rt38displayDSCF2567.jpg

Once I catch the guy there to talk to him, I'm going to have so much fun. Like I said, this is just sitting along the road in the middle of nowhere. It looks much neater in the summer without all the snow plowed up and the evening sun hits it very nice. Though, I would probably process everything in B&W as well as with some antiquing processing.

i used to think EXACTLY what you are thinking now, Brutus. SE kansas (where i am) is not exactly what you think of when you picture beautiful photography...even western kansas has more goin for it....but i try to make the very most of it. i try to think that, while other people have their city skylines and ocean veiws and whatever, i have my corn fields, old trucks, farm ponds and other things that may not be very interesting to me (because i see them all the time) but may do something for city folk who do not get to see this scenario everyday. it also forces me to be more creative because i only have so much to work with. ya know?

heres one of mine (i'll post the rest in a different place)

SMALL TOWN SKYLINE
camping020.jpg

Last edited:
you know, im all for the pursuit of art, but have you guys ever tried TALKING to the land owners first LOL. I face the same thing when out hunting. i'll come across posted lands. most people will just assume its posted, and the owners dont want any hunting there, and give up. I instead go talk to the owner, dressed nice, and on my best behavior, and explain to them what i want to do on their property, and ask their permission to do so, all the while telling them that if they are uncomfortable with it, i'm perfectly fine if they say no. 90% of the time, its a go.

It's the same w/ photography. what ever happened to people talking to people, before they break the law and trespass LOL. knock on their door, act respectful,in neat attire, and flatter them. Tell them you are an amateur photographer, and their land (or something on their land) is really beautiful, and you would like to take pictures of it.

If they say no, then consider your other options, but ask first.

and on another point, my approach to photography is 1/3 art, 1/3 science, 1/3 luck. It's not just always taking pics of what EVERYONE ELSE sees as beautiful. Part of it is making others see the beauty you might find in something mundane. That's your job as the artist photographer. You might see a dandelion, that everyone has seen a million times, and think it beautiful...but if you take it as is against a field of grass, it may be boring...but come back and make the setting sun the backdrop...and all of a sudden you've got the whole world seeing what you see.

as in all things, we work with what we're given. it's your job as the artist to bring out the beauty in things.

you know, im all for the pursuit of art, but have you guys ever tried TALKING to the land owners first LOL.
ME said:
I've been waiting to see him there so I can stop and ask permission to be on his property to photograph it...........Once I catch the guy there to talk to him, I'm going to have so much fun.
Please note the quote from my earlier post....

I know, I'm sure that was directed generally to the majority of the thread and not to me. Just wanted to point this out...

Most reactions

Back