Photography in France

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by adrian777, Jan 16, 2007.

1. adrian777

adrian777 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am a beginner in digital photography and I want to learn how to take good photographs. If anybody knows of any tutorials or guides to taking good photos, I would be very grateful.

I live in France and am starting a web gallery which is trying to capture traditional French life. www.franceprints.com

Bye

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    try a local library or book store. That will be your best source of information. Magazines are also a great source.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Adrian, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
    I moved your request for pointers as to which book to read or which tutorials to find in the internet to "The Beginners' Place", since you call yourself a beginner (to digital photography), and since this is the right place for your question.

If you want specific critique onto ONE particular photo of yours, post that one into the Photo Critique and say what exactly you want critiqued, ok? The guidelines to that forum are right at the top of the index.

4. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Adrian,

A couple of things.

On your website, you might consider putting a little space between the top of the page and the content. It looks a little crowded with the first pixel down being the edge of a photo and text. You did leave room at the bottom and sides, which is good.

Also, instead of having portions of huge photos with copyright stamped all over the place, you could consider a smaller, less useful size and less obtrusive copyright stamps. (such as a watermark) Maybe a 320x240 size or 640x480 with a watermark.

From the photos, it looks like you already have a good camera and lens(es). That is a good start.

For your kinds of photography, you should consider books on:

1) Landscape photography
    2) Architecture photography
    3) General photography handbook, incl. basic rules and composition.

Web pages are nice, but books are nice to take with you, are easy to re-read, and have photos to illustrate the author's point.

I can't really recommend anything specific, because I don't know what is available in France. In the USA, we have huge, commercial bookstores, but in France, I assume they're more small shops.

When I picked a book on wedding photography the other day, I browsed for 4 hours before deciding which one to get. I read a good amount from about 4 different books before deciding. You may not have such a selection, so it may not be as difficult. Or, you may buy online after reading some samples.

Books are good for teaching photography. It is not one of those things that you have to see being done, in person, to understand.

5. adrian777

adrian777 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for your advice, I will order a book in from England and keep it as a reference.

Bye

6. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're ordering from England, look for books by John Hedgecoe. I learned a lot from that old boy. A lot of people did.

7. adrian777

adrian777 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Jeremy,

I reduced the photo size to 640*480 and spaced out the watermark a bit more.

I will look into the books you suggested.

Thanks

Adrian
    www.franceprints.com