photography is so expensive

The point I was trying to make is that there have been many, many posts whereby someone inevitably wants advice on a (for instance) 18-400mm lens for $150 (is this a good deal?) or either wants the performance of a $2000 lens but has the budget for $500. Even at $150 for a lens, that is pushing some peoples budget. And I am only talking about lenses. Starter (d)bodies can run from $300-600. If you are going for your first camera (dslr), how can you say a capital investment is not required?

I used to shoot film as well. It was bloody expensive even back then.

The fact that I consider that I take crap shots is because I am highly critical of my work. My mother thinks they're all wonderful, but then again, she's my mother, but I'm no pimply school aged boy either.

I've been around the block 3 or 4 times, maybe 5 times and I think some of the younger generation are so absorbed with instant gratification that certains aspects of a hobby, such as photography, are disingenuously overlooked.

So I stand by my statement that a capital investment is required.

Very well said sir!

When I bought my first Nikon D1 in 1999 it was right at 5K USD. (Kodak DSC SLR's were going for around 25K at the time) My friends said I was crazy, maybe I was, but that's for another forum, thread, time and place. Anyway, I was asked how can I justify that? I ask them, how do you justify that 20K bass boat, or the 30K Harley, or the 50K home theater system with theater style seating, after the 80K room addition to put it all in. It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone has something they love to do, or something that makes them a living. Money must be spent to make money, and last time I checked, Harley Davidson soft tail classics didn't grow on trees either.

You gotta' spend money to make money! But seriously, it is very expensive. The body is only a small part of the expense.

I personally got my body for free. ;)

you cant get anything for under 100$ and not anything truly good for under 200$ its crazy

I wish anything I dream of was 200$, below 100$ I basically get batteries, below 200$ I get a filter and above 500$ I get some interesting lens, above 6000$ I get the lenses I am dreaming of ;)

This is for my mainstream digital photography. For other kinds of photography you get interesting and good equipment from 20$ to 20000$, depending on what exactly you want to do.

Money must be spent to make money

This is true, however not everyone here is out to make money. When it comes down to the hobbieists they cannot always justify the 5k price tags. However many don't realize they do not need the newest freshest on the market to be a serious hobby photographer. There are many alternatives that are far less expencive at the moment of the big purchase of the camera it self.

and last time I checked, Harley Davidson soft tail classics didn't grow on trees either.

Also true, but they are not bought to make money either, they're bought for the prestige associated, never the less Harley Davidson soft tail classics can be found for around 18 K if you know where to look.

This is true, however not everyone here is out to make money. When it comes down to the hobbieists they cannot always justify the 5k price tags. However many don't realize they do not need the newest freshest on the market to be a serious hobby photographer. There are many alternatives that are far less expencive at the moment of the big purchase of the camera it self.

Very true. But you totally miss my point. My camera gear IS MY bass boat, Harley, or home theater. I am both a hobbyist and a shooting pro. It's simply how I choose to spend my money, no more, no less.

Also true, but they are not bought to make money either, they're bought for the prestige associated, never the less Harley Davidson soft tail classics can be found for around 18 K if you know where to look.

The amount of money is not the point, I could have used a $1,500 D100, D200, D300 as my example. My point still is everyone has a hobby or interest, and if you can afford what you want, why not just do it. I like the big D series bodies because they feel like the F5 or even more like the F3 w/MD4 motor. Take the motor off the F3 and it feels more like a D70. I bought the D3 because my D1's were 2 generations old. I skipped the D2 series. My wife got a D300 for Christmas, I find it much too small to hold on to. It is just what we prefer. neither decision is either right or wrong, it's just what each of us chooses to do/own/shoot/play with.

Very true. But you totally miss my point. My camera gear IS MY bass boat, Harley, or home theater. I am both a hobbyist and a shooting pro. It's simply how I choose to spend my money, no more, no less.

The amount of money is not the point, I could have used a $1,500 D100, D200, D300 as my example. My point still is everyone has a hobby or interest, and if you can afford what you want, why not just do it. I like the big D series bodies because they feel like the F5 or even more like the F3 w/MD4 motor. Take the motor off the F3 and it feels more like a D70. I bought the D3 because my D1's were 2 generations old. I skipped the D2 series. My wife got a D300 for Christmas, I find it much too small to hold on to. It is just what we prefer. neither decision is either right or wrong, it's just what each of us chooses to do/own/shoot/play with.

Actually, I did get your point, but money is the point here. You have the money to spend wile others may not. Having that money is what gives you the ability to choose spend it the way you did. The OP leads me to believe they do not have this option. My point is if you don't have the money to afford it. there are alternitives that can get you what you want at a fraction of the price.

Photography is not an expensive hobby. I know I get to live in a slightly different world than most of you, but the hobbies I see that some people have make photogear a rounding error at the end of the year, not a major expenditure.

I know people who have vineyards and private planes and boats, but guess what - photography is the only hobby you can practice year-round, even at night in the winter indoors. Try doing that with your Polo ponies or a 1959 Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage.

Photography is not an expensive hobby. I know I get to live in a slightly different world than most of you, but the hobbies I see that some people have make photogear a rounding error at the end of the year, not a major expenditure.

I know people who have vineyards and private planes and boats,

but these things are out of reach for most people as you know ;)

For an average income family in most countries dSLR photography is not a cheap hobby.

But then again, so what, if it is THE hobby for you, you will be willing to cut short on other things to afford it.

But of course there are fields in photography which are quite cheap and very creative and allow to explore one's love for photography without having to spend 5k on the camera and a lens and 2k on a computer.

i have a friend who says " photography is not for the feint of wallet"

on the other hand, art is not cheap.

Anyone check out the prices of brushes for painters? Amazing.

Or, anything one is very serious about tends to cost at some point. Try collecting coins or stamps. One starts out with a few dollars here and there and before long one has a small fortune tied up in their "love". A small fortune can be defined in any manner, as for what 100 dollars is for one individual is months of saving, for another , it is just pocket change.
THis is not a judgement that one is bad or one is good, it just is.

We have to decide what is important for us. Equipment allows one to over come problems, as a camera is just the tool and every camera has it's limitations.

regardless of the amount of money one spends they have to (IMHO) spend time , effort and work very hard to become proficient with using which ever camera they are using.

At some point everyone has to decide what they can afford, either with money or time, as serious work takes a large amount of serious time not just money.

just .02 cents of rambling

Not as expensive as heroin

Foot in mouth Mark. Foot. In. Mouth.
:lmao:

Yeah photography is expensive. I tried to anticipate how much I would have to spend for basic gear, I was off by a couple hundred. I STILL need to buy some basic accessories.

It's fun and can pay off if you enjoy it and try making it a career or a part time hobby/job. My bro does some weddings and general photography for local people, makes a little money after a year or two.

As an artist I see it as my tool to achieve my goals. I want the best tool i can afford. I have brushes that cost over $100 and paint tubes that cost just as much. But these are more needs than a hobby since it is my trained profession.
As long as you enjoy it, I can justify my spending on it. It's actually therapeutic as most hobbies should be. Just a way for me to get away from reality for a bit. Much cheaper than paying for a shrink. If I ever get good at it, I can try to market my stuff later on. That's how I view my hobbies. My RC cars use to cost upwards of $3-5K and I had like 8 or 9 at one point. Thank Budha I sold them off when I did. Don't get me started on Japanese woodworking tools. But it was my stress reliever at the time.
I always thought Photography was expensive when I was in school, so never took any classes. A regret that I have to this day. But as a student, I really could not afford it at the time. $200 for a body, lens, film, developing, etc. Now I drop $2K on a lens without blinking as long as I know I will take enjoyment out of using it without sacrificing other more important aspects of my life. It is still a hobby so that part is always in the equation until I can venture more professionally.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back