Photography is worse than dope!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Ramesses, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Ramesses

Ramesses TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Photography is worse than dope!

Hi Everyone:

This is my first post in over a week. I have been very busy buying things like…well photography equipment. This hobby is worse than potato chips…”you just can’t buy one more thing. There is always one more item after you finish. My new item, the one I can no longer live without or understand how I survived without, is a belt/waist pack bag, like the Lowpro Mini Orion. I can put all the things like the extra battery, extra SD card, remote controller, lens cleaning kit (these are all items I just purchased + the tripod + the tripod bag, magnifying eyepiece, Nikon Capture NX, +++,) reading glasses, sunglasses, and the few coins – mainly pennies – I have left over after my buying spree. J

Oh, yes. I almost forgot. I got a call from Belair Camera: the 55-200 VR lens is in and only $235.00. I’ve got to go and see it. Just look at it. I do not need it now. However, my problem is that I already have a belt lens bag, but it is empty. I have to do something about that. (I better start taking some more photographs, the whole purpose behind the idea of getting a camera SYSTEM.)

I have to reconstruct my PayPal account again after devastating it for the second time! The problem is that I’m running of things to sell on eBay. I NEED A WHOLESALER!!! Does anyone know of one (You can leave me a private message if you do not want to blast the info all over the internet.) You have to help me, please. I need to keep my habit (photography) going! J

Best regards,

Ramesses

2. RacePhoto

RacePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now you tell me? 40 years as an addict, and no hope for recovery. :lol:

I just bid on a DSLR camera, because I wanted the lens!

At least you are trying to warn others, before it becomes a serious problem.

I drive a $1000 rusted out car and have a camera with about $3000 in lenses! :confused: I'm trying to find a way to sell enough "stuff" on eBay to buy a Sony HV10. I take whole weekends shooting and sell pictures for $20 each to magazines.

Can anyone explain how investing $4000 to make $100 a year, makes sense. Oh I get it Recovering the costs by selling photos. I'll have the camera paid off in 40 years. :meh:

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol - my car cost me $60 and Ive got about $3500 - $4000 dollars worth of camera gear

4. portersangel

portersangel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try working at a camera store and having the ability to play with all of the different cameras and lenses. I spend more money on my equipment in a year than I make in a year selling the stuff. People don't realize how addictive photography really is until they are already addicted. No matter where you are, there's a picture to take or a memory to capture. The world is sure beautiful through the eyes of a photographer. I wouldn't trade my hobby for anything in the world.

5. Ramesses

Ramesses TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi:

I could not have said it better. Yes, indeed the world looks better. There is always a picture to be taken and a place to visit, no matter what it is and how many times one has been there – never a dull moment. I’m even looking forward to orchids shows, now (my wife’s thing.) Beautiful flowers and the photos…

I would love to get a high-definition TV for my study. My problem is why? In the past month, I’ve watched TV for at most ½ hour. I rather be taking photos, uploading them, watching them on the screen, participating in the forum, or be in eBay buying and selling! The TV has to wait. The 70-300 VR first! OK. Maybe the 55-200 VR. It all depends if I can sell enough. Friday – Sunday I’ll hit garage and estate sales! I even learned how to walk with my head glued to the ground! That’s right! Looking for orphan coins! :wink:

Best regards,

Ramesses

6. gmarquez

gmarquez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    "There is always a picture to be taken and a place to visit"

I've almost gotten into accidents while driving down highway 101 because I'd see something "that would make an amazing photograph" and look for a place to turn off instead of watching traffic.

7. Eric Piercey

Eric Piercey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Try adding videography to that and yes it's ridiculously bad. When clients whine about how expensive it is I'm going to whip out a scrapbook full of receipts and photos of my family going without because I needed a wireless LAV mic or a better tripod head or new software or or or or or or

8. Funky

Funky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    this one time i got addicted to crack, but in the end photography beat out the addiction by making me spend all my money on lenses instead of more crack. but in all honesty ive been eating ramen for the past 4 months to save enough for a new lens....

9. Ramesses

Ramesses TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi:

Many years ago, I decided to go into Videography and got meself a Sony camcorder. The spanking new small model. I found out something about myself, then: I am bad, really bad. I do have talent, but of the negative variety. It all ended when my Sony decided to take matters into her own hands and stopped working. However, I can modestly and honestly boast that the world is a better place ever since I stopped.

Best regards,

Ramesses

10. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

Is anyone interested in buying a ton of darkroom equipment from color processors to tongs, a ton of MF cameras and lenses from yesteryear, a ton of LF cameras and gear, Novatron and Norman studio lights???? There's a newer camera thingy I want to buy and need a bunch of money for it.

11. Ramesses

Ramesses TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi:

Just one word: eBay! You can sell almost anything there. There is always someone that is looking precisely what you are selling.

Ramesses

12. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's the reason I haven't gotten into videography, or any other hobbies, for that matter. The other day my sister (an illustration major) was showing me her markers. A tiny tin of markers cost about three hundred dollars -- and those weren't even all her markers, just the ones she was using on a current piece! I found myself looking at them thinking, "I'd really like to take up drawing..."

BUT NO! I have to FOCUS, because there is so much money to spend right here, in 35mm photography, and I haven't even begun experimenting with large format, polaroid transfers, and all that other fun stuff. ;)