Photography is worse than dope!

I think if I keep buying toys for my camera or new cameras off ebay I'm going to go broke. It's bad when you just got paid and your allready waiting for the next check to surf ebay some more to find that next great lens or camera

it is addicted people like you who make eBay such a nice place for sellers like me :)

been selling quite some camera gear recently, and I was amazed how far bidders would go ... almost like you buy a lens, use it a couple of years and then sell it for a profit! :p

but i know the other side as well ;)

Hi Alex:

I’ve been on both ends in eBay. Between the shortwave radio (Kenwood R5000,) The Radio Shack Pro-Scanner, the Lalique Vase and the Waterford Vase (+ oher items like the Kosta Boda, Solti’s Ring – LP, Hummel, etc.) I made over $1,400 in the last month+. I would never use these items any more. I even sold the 18-55 lens that came with the D40 kit. It all went to the camera and accessories.

Yes, you are right about eBay an overbidding. I even stated that. I did chase the D50 for a long period of time and tried to get it at a reasonable price. I was looking at the demos that Cameta was offering, but it was crazy. People were paying anywhere between $410.00 and $450.00, for a demo model (Body Only) that only carried a 3-month factory warranty. Next door, Roberts Distributors (a Nikon authorized dealer from Ohio,) was selling the D50 body only, brand new (1 year warranty,) for $445.00, on eBay.

I finally went for the D40 Kit, $519.00 with 1GB 80X SD Card. I sold the 18-55 lens for $155.00, on eBay. Therefore, the D40 body came to $350.00. On the other hand, my two local dealers wanted $599.00 for the D40 Kit and would not trade up for the 18-55 lens with a take it or leave it type of attitude.

Silvio’s, in Torrance, outdid themselves. They offered me $20.00 for the 18-55 lens, because they had to sell it as used, being part of a kit. In addition, according to them, the lens had no value and wouldn’t be able to sell it. I told them no to worry so much about me, because I would sell it on eBay. My proposal was part of a deal to trade up to the 18-70 lens, which they offered for $299.00.

Before pulling the trigger, I went back to Silvio’s to ask if the 18-70 they offered was new or used. It is new, they said, but part of a D70 Kit. I remarked: “You cannot sell my 18-55, new, because it is part of a Kit and now are trying to sell me the 18-70 lens, as new, also part of a kit. What is it? You cannot have it both ways?” They never really answered the question – they couldn’t.

I also told them that I wanted my 18-70 to come in a box, because I do not know if I would sell it in the future. They told me that the 18-70 only comes as part of a kit and never in a box. Needless to say, I have not been back and bought the 18-70, the next day, through Cameta, which came in its own box, for $319.00. or $20.00 more than Silvio’s.

I went to Sammy’s Camera in the Fairfax district of LA. Incredible place. Four floors, with its own elevators, of just photographic and digital imaging equipment and services. I went there to look at the DK-21M Magnifying Eyepiece, which works great for me – I do not need to use my reading glasses to look through the viewfinder. The following is the conversation that took place (I’m not exaggerating in the least):

- How do you like the eyepiece, I asked the salesman:
- It is very good.
- I have a D40.
- That is a very good camera.
- I really wanted the D200, but could not afford it.
- That is also very good.
- Can I see the 70-300 VR lens?
- Sure, and mounted it on a D40.
- What do you think of the lens?
- It is a very good lens, well balanced.
- What about the new 55-200 VR
- That is also a very good lens.
- Thank you very much. Let me think about the eyepiece and left.

With eBay and Newegg (I buy my computer equipment almost exclusively through them,) I do not have to put up with this garbage from unscrupulous dealers. Their hegemony is over!

Best regards,

Ramesses

I started off in photography this summer. I had a point and shoot but then I got a D200. I worked like 70 hours a week so that I could afford it. At times I did think to myself, "I now know what people on drugs will do for them." In the end though, it is completely worth it. I am okay with this type of addiction.

"There is always a picture to be taken and a place to visit"

I've almost gotten into accidents while driving down highway 101 because I'd see something "that would make an amazing photograph" and look for a place to turn off instead of watching traffic.

and that would be why i never drive...
i know where my priorities are :roll:

Oh my goose its such an addictive hobby. With the money I spent on my camera and new lens I could have bought myself the HDTV Ive always wanted (I get the YES network so I watch every Yankees game if Im not at the stadium).

no kidding. I'd sell my body on the street for money to feed this addiction if i thought I could make a profit.:lmao:

Yeah Here's my story,Sound familiar?

Bought Sony alpha cause I had Two lenses already, a 35-80mm and a 70-300mm lens.

Good Idea I thought.Save a little money this way....uh yeah right:er:

It has been 3-4 months and the 2 lenses I had originally are no longer with me,rather they are living out the rest of thier lives in Alaska,and Ontario.

I have spent countless hours on ebay picking through lenses and sniping auctions to amass a collection of lenses that I have managed to stagnate at the present moment.

I have looked at them all.One night I looked through about 1500 auctions before I could go to sleep.

Fortunatly I have a fairly nice collection of glass that fits most of my needs until I can find more stuff to sell on ebay to get the Flash and Wide angle lens, and Macro Prime,and Yeah I can go on and on.

Glad I am not the only person that has completely fallen face first into the money pit that is Photoraphy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back