Photography job/full time career questions

Bella_soseman10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I’m 16 and I own a canon EOS 850D. I’m kinda new at being passionate about photography even though I’ve owned a camera for a couple years. I want to do photography (nothing specific yet) as a career path when I’m older, and I don’t plan to go to college. I hear a mix of both “So many photographers make 75k+ a year without going to college!” And “you need to at least get an apprenticeship to land a good job in photography” and I’m not really sure what to think. Someone who has a full time job (or know how this all works) can I make a full time job out of photography without college and how do I even start??
An example of a family shoot I did (second one ever)

I want to do photography (nothing specific yet) as a career path

First you need to determine which genre of photography you want to pursue, before you can determine what training you'll need. Around here, family portrait photograpers seldom make it. Every neophyte with a new camera thinks they can do portraits. They don't last long.

Look at things like wedding, forensic, medical, product, newspaper. Things that require some specialized skills.

Hi and welcome! I may be a bit late answering this but I hope you'll see my post.
Tbh to many photographers I know, me included, photography is a paid hobby, while we all have some other more or less stable source(s) of income. Family portraits, individual photo shoots, baby shoots etc, are all fine, but you probably won't make a fortune doing them.
If family portraits are what you're interested in, then more power to you! You can build a portfolio out of your friends and relatives pictures, maybe try finding other models for free shoots just to get some experience, then start advertising through your local Fb groups or Instagram. Set up reasonable prices, don't overexhaust yourself by booking too much shoots at once, go nice and slow. Definitely learn basics of lightning, posing and of course photo editing, there are tons of online tutorials and video guides. There are various options of beginner friendly photo editing software, too.
You can also educate yourself in other photography related areas, like restoring old photos or doing object photography, and offer your services in these fields as well.

The hardest thing I had to come to grips with when I was younger and really interested in being paid to take pictures was, even if you can work in the type of photography you like; you cannot take the pictures you think are great, you have to take the pictures that sell. If you are really fortunate the two are similar.

All of the above means little if you do not know or learn the business side of the trade. Money goes out a lot faster than it comes in. A job that does not support your lifestyle, is simply an expensive hobby.

Want to be a successful commercial photographer? Go to business school. This career is 90% business/sales/marketing.

^^ this.

Photography is an industry that has been flooded with people who picked up a $600 camera kit from Best Buy, bought some business cards online and said "I'm a professional." And everyone thinks they don't "need a big camera because they have one in their pocket." And they're not totally wrong, either. It's a brutal industry to stand out in these days.

Honestly, I'd avoid the industry entirely... much as I tell people these days starting out in my industry (IT "infrastructure") to avoid it like the plague and find something else. They always say to me "but you're doing really well!", to which I respond "yes, but I have 30 years of experience, and the experience is what they value at this point... oh and I don't actually do it hands-on anymore." And I got very much this answer from a 30+ year pro in photography when I spoke to them 10 years ago.

And that's not even getting into the competitive nature of an industry where everyone wants to be, creative industries, etc.

Some industries fade. Photography almost certainly will. You have some time and certain portions of it will remain for longer, but you're setting yourself up for a hard road ahead.

But at least if you focus HEAVILY in developing knowledge of business, you will have a much better chance, because a big part of WHY the industry is such a mess is because of people like my friend who sells matted prints for $15 at a farmers market, and the guy I know who does residential real estate photos for $100.

Reactions: AQS
Don't believe all you hear. If you are prepared to do weddings - or photograph gruesome forensic stuff - you may find an opportunity.

But the smartphone camera has basically destroyed the traditional photography industry. I know that's a generalisation but camera sales have dropped about 90% in the past 15 years: that tells its own story.

Sorry not to be more encouraging but keep photography for fun, friends and family. And earn your living in some other way. 🙂

Want to be a successful commercial photographer? Go to business school. This career is 90% business/sales/marketing.

I would say this applies to just about any job, whether working for yourself or for someone else.

Don't believe all you hear. If you are prepared to do weddings - or photograph gruesome forensic stuff - you may find an opportunity.

But the smartphone camera has basically destroyed the traditional photography industry. I know that's a generalisation but camera sales have dropped about 90% in the past 15 years: that tells its own story.

Sorry not to be more encouraging but keep photography for fun, friends and family. And earn your living in some other way. 🙂

Essentially this.

A little side note to my earlier comment. Two weeks ago we were in Gatlinburg, TN, I don't know why I took notice, but there were still a bunch of the themed portrait shops. The kind where they have all sorts of costumes or sets. Many of which I remember, when I thought about it, had been there for years. The one we went to years ago for a family shot in civil war era garments is still there. They've never really had people standing in line, but they always seem to have a steady business.

Ding Ding Ding....What do we have for him Johnny?

Sad to say but it's going to be very hard to be a pro in this day and age unless you can shovel tons of BS. There is a pro here in St. Louis that sells one big print at a time for $35k, why? he full of BS. IMO, nobody's prints are worth that much.
Now there is another pro here that I do retouch for that 20 years ago she was pulling in over 6 figures, now she makes less than $50k a year.
In any case....good luck.

Hi whilst I will wish you every luck in your choice my advice is to have a day job and start off using your photography as an extra income, you that you are no relying on it to pay the bills.
‘keep records of everything from model release form to copies of the letter from the chap who asked you to just pop over and do a “few” photo for him.
here in the uk there is a saying CYA. Cover your A. I mean backside. Ps to the moderator I kept it polite
i know people who did weddings etc and in general most dont want to pay that much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back