Photography magazines?

Sarah23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you subscribe/read any of them? If so which ones?

Im looking for one that isnt JUST about gear and reviews and stuff.

THANKS!!! :hugs:

I used to get Popular Photography until I let my subscription run out. Good magazine!

PHOTO Techniques was the best I ever subscribed to. You will not be sorry.

'Popular Photography' reader here. It has been around for a very long time. I am sure there are many other greats ones too. I like Pop photo because it has so many different sections that come every month. There is general articles, tips from general and pro users, usually a photo shop tutorial, monthly photo contests results, as well as many equipment tests. It was in those tests that helped me purchase my current gear.

I would also like to hear of other magazines as well that are out there.

Do you subscribe/read any of them? If so which ones?

Im looking for one that isnt JUST about gear and reviews and stuff.

THANKS!!! :hugs:
For gear stuff, the web is a better resource.

You subscribe to magazines to see good photographs. LensWork for example.

I love magazines. I usually subscribe to at least one of the subject/hobby that I currently am into. I've been through Car Audio and Electronics, just about every 4Wheeler magazine there is, NASCAR, Hockey magazines, etc.

My daughter recently was selling magazines for school (they teach them to be sales people more than teaching them anything else anymore) and the wife just received her confirmation for my Popular Photography. Should be coming in the mail any day now.

i ocasionally buy some, Popular Photography, American Photo, Digital Photo Pro, Shutterbug, Outdoor Photographer, but ive also gotten some from overseas, which i have found i like better than any American magazine, Digital SLR User, Digital Photographer, etc, only problem with overseas magazines, is they take about a month to get in stores over here, and they cost around 10 bucks each.

i dont subscribe but Popular Photography is the one i buy

What else exactly is there???

I obviously know that they all will have some reviews in them. I just dont want one that ALL about gear....I want one that has inpirational atricles, tips, ideas, lots of photos....that type of thing. At this point in my life I am not looking for new equipment and dont need a ton of reviews on gear that I will never get. When I need that, i will research online. :)

I was interested in JPG Magazine....anyone get that????

I(they teach them to be sales people more than teaching them anything else anymore) .

Ok, I so know what you mean. My son is in an expensive private preschool (EXPENSIVE) and they are always sending them home to sell things for fund raisers. I am like, "what the heck"...didnt I pay tution? Why are they teaching my kid to sell things every single month? He is in preschool!?!?!?!?!

Anyways, he isnt going back there

I was constantly buying PopPhoto and Shutterbug at the stores....So, I went ahead and subscribed (it' sooooo much cheaper that way!!). I feel Shutterbug has too much advertising, but it does have some great info at times!! PopPhoto is good all the way around!! There's a lot of quick and dirty tips as well as full-blown tutorials. I know you're not interested in the reviews, but they do seem to test independently.

I subscribe to PDN- which is geared towards the business side of photography.

I also subscribe to several art type of photography magazines which hardly ever deal with gear- Black and White (the American version), Aperture, and Shots

I find that Digital Photo Pro is one of the better written and put-together magazines out there, if you're talking about North American ones exclusively.

They've always got a few pages on the latest-and-greatest gadgets that are soon-to-be released or have just been released, they feature at least 2 really great professional photographers, they've always got a few extremely informative articles (which can get pretty technical - hence the name of the magazine), and their editorial-to-ad ratio isn't blown to hell, like others out there.

As mentioned, it's simply well-written.

American Photo, Lenswork, Shutterbug, Digital Photo Pro, and Photo Techniques.

Most reactions

Back