photography - not at all easy

picmo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think we all share a level of frustration with our shots at some point or other. And I'm realizing, the more powerful your equipment, the more difficult it becomes to get the shot you're looking for. I'm posting two photos taken recently that just didn't turn out how I thought they would. Sometimes how you see the shot with the naked eye is not how the camera sees it. Any recommendations on how to improve these.

1. A window is lighting his face to his right, but seems to wash out a good portion of his head. There's a ceiling light overhead, but wasn't providing much light at all. No other light or flash and no post work. 50 mm lens, f/1.4, 1/50. Assuming I could use a little bit more light to his back for balance?
DSC_4935.jpg

2. I don't use PS and haven't experimented much with photo editing. I did do a little post with this shot with picasa. The mountain in the middle had a gorgeous white to it, but somehow it got lost. 50mm, f/5.6, 1/125
DSC_4881.jpg

You need to expose for the light, not the boy in the first picture. The camera didn't take into account the light source, so it used a relatively slow speed (1/50), and for some reason was also shooting at ISO400. Also, hes not as sharp as he should be if you are shooting with the 50MM.

The second shots the colors are fine. They may not be what YO remember, but I bet they are truer than you want to make it. There is a tilt though, that I would take off.

You may want to stop down a bit too instead of shooting wide open at 1.4 on the first picture. It looks like the edge of the planter is clearer than the little boys face. Or, just make sure you are focused on his face. You may need to shoot with a tripod at that speed too if you don't have a steady hand.

Most reactions

Back