Photography on my big screen

I

Iron Flatline

I have been working on a number of images, and recently thought I would force the modern-day equivalent of the Photo Slide Show on my unsuspecting family.

I own a very nice new big TV, some kind of 55 inch 1080 HD super machine, and (conveniently) I also own a Sony Playstation 3. So what's the big deal? Well, turns out I can feed the PS3 with high res JPGs, which in turn has an HDTV converter built in.

Simply put: unspeakably large images, rendered in the highest possible digital display.

Now, I've always wanted to work in a large format, and certainly have always print large when I thought it benefits the image. I believe STRONGLY that size matters for certain images. When an image is over six feet (two meters) per side, the relationship to the image becomes different. You become aware of details that were previously lost, and it becomes impossible to hold the overall composition in the mind's eye. You are forced to fragment the image, and you begin to develop very different relationships between the elements.

Of course, it requires an extremely sharp image, or at least that the creative choices you make work within the context of the size.

I have to tell you that it was pure joy to see my own images at that size (well, mostly - some clearly benefit from a smaller display format.) There are details there that I had not noticed until then.

At this point I'd like to give props to the Leica lenses and sensor - wow. Having said that, I have been speaking with Mitch Epstein (a large format photographer) who works off 8x10 negatives, and the details he pulls out of his images on his 70+ inch prints is impossible with digital so far.... though I found it interesting that he prints digitally.

Has anyone else had this experience?

If you have the TV and playback gear at home, try it.

I own a very nice new big TV, some kind of 55 inch 1080 HD super machine, and (conveniently) I also own a Sony Playstation 3. So what's the big deal? Well, turns out I can feed the PS3 with high res JPGs, which in turn has an HDTV converter built in.

We got a PS3 for Christmas, and I was quite delighted to see that it accepts CF cards. Copy the files to the PS3 hard drive, and we now have a 52" HD digital picture frame.....:thumbup:

Depends on the medium for the digital images. In school I worked in a multimedia lab teaching image, sound, and video editing. If your TV is capable of correctly displaying computer data...i.e. a generic slideshow, then you're in the money. If, on the other hand, you want to incorporate your images into a movie, it's a completely different ball-game. Most video editing software, even if it supports HD, will still have problems making use of a high resolution photo. Now, I won't touch a photo in a movie without Final Cut Pro HD or equiv.

Just food for thought.

I have the big TV and the PS3 but I haven't had the nerve to put my photos and the TV together. So is it really worth it? Does this view bring out the mistakes in the photograph?

Yeah, I was pleased with the technical abilities of the equipment mix...

... but that wasn't the sole point of my thread. For me, it was fun to be able to view so many of my images at such a large size, without having to incur the printing costs. I believe an image changes a lot at large size, but being able to "preview" it in HD is extremely helpful in determining if a shot is going to work as a large size.

Try it, see what you think of your images...

I have a Samsung 50' DLP that has a usb2.0 input it calls "Wiselink" pop the jpegs on a usb drive and there you have a heck of a slide show. First time I showed the wife some pics of the grand baby she was very pleased.

fil

20" is as big as i can go right now, but it's hi-def, and works real nice. should be getting a 40-something" samsung hdtv soon though. i can't wait to try it.

For me, it was fun to be able to view so many of my images at such a large size, without having to incur the printing costs. I believe an image changes a lot at large size, but being able to "preview" it in HD is extremely helpful in determining if a shot is going to work as a large size.

I can understand that, but I have never printed that big. The biggest I typically print is 8x10 to 11x14, which my 21" computer monitor takes care of. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind a couple of poster prints, but I don't even know if anybody in my area even prints that big...any reputable places online?

I have a PS3 and a sharp 42"1080p hdtv

Photos look so good on there :)

i agree some pics when there that big you go ,wow!

After seeing a few on there, i may get large versions of them printed now.

I'll try out the PlayStation3 as a display device for my photos off of Windows Vista media server, but I'm certain that my TV in the living room is not as good a display device as the monitor on my desk. At 2560x1600, the Dell 3007WFP has twice as many pixels as a 1920x1080p television does.

Of course your monitor is going to have more pixels... I assume your images typically have more pixels than your monitor as well. The point is that a LARGE TV is interesting way to see the dimensions and proportions of an image.

You could complete the feeling ensemble by getting one of those PS plugins, and putting a Fuji Velvia film tint on your photos...

60" Pioneer plasma 1080P, HD DVD player and high def DVDs with my pics... and I honestly still find it limiting. Even a $6500 TV still doesn't have the resolution to please me more than my dual 22" computer monitors. I mean, its nice... but still far from where I would want it to be.

Maybe the next generation will be more to my liking (or perhaps it's a NTSC vs PAL issue, I do not know, just that NTSC was a small disappointment to me).

Hmmm....

I have to say that I am really a little disappointed by the direction of this thread. I really don't care about the technology, I've never been that into it anyway - cameras or displays.

I was trying to point out a cool way to see your own images in a very large way without having to print them. I wanted to know if others are interested in seeing their images in a large way, and how they feel about that. This community tends to be a little gear-centric.

...but then again, everyone seeks different things in their imagery. I have always admired large prints, but others may find that irrelevant. There's no right or wrong on that topic.

I actually prefer to show the pics on a screen over printing them out, if thats what you meant. My point was that even with what some consider "good" gear, it was still not as good as even basic computer monitors.

The family prefers looking at the pics on the big screen over looking at them in albums, but then again I also add music, comments, motion, fades, etc... (there is that technology thing getting in the way again... lol).

I found it more a novelty than anything else to display the pics on the big screen.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back