photography pet peaves

I just hate it when I have set up a shot and people with the dinky p*s cameras step in front and start firing off their little flashes ruining my photo or making me wait. Esp. when I know their photo isn't going to turn out
I just added a section in my contract about this very thing. We already have a tight time limit, just let me do what I am here for already.
I have taken photos from the car if I really really want it. Not as much anymore but I did a lot when I first started. Cause you know, to get out of the car means taking 2 kids, a diaper bag, a stroller out, wiping sticking fingers or changing a poopy diaper then fighting the to get them back in again because they want to play. Some people arent lazy
If you get out they get out. Sometime that is not a option on a busy street.
another one: people who say "ooohhh take a photo of that" - and you know that there is no way in hell that you would get a reasonable picture out of that. Sure it looks pretty, but it ain't gonna expose properly... and they just can't understand why you don't wanna take the photo
Even my DH is guilty of this one. But this has stopped from him since I told him what lens I would need to be able to take a shot of a tiny bird 20 feet up in a tree. :lmao:
criticize me for spending $$$ on photography, then ask me for images or if will take some photos for them/their children/ etc (OK, my wife is primarily guilty of this!!!)
My family does this. They will show up unannounced expecting my in home studio to be set up and ready to go at a moments notice.
i went to ritz in January, and they were absolutely convinced that there was no such thing as reverse macro, and that me and my brother didn't know what we were talking about asking for a step ring for it...
I will drive three hours to avoid this.
people who put the camera back into the bag while on
I am guilty of this but it is usually to get one of my kids from being killed or injured. :x

My latest is the place I work at they will ask me to take all kinds of random photos of stuff. Then when I ask for money for the photos they don't want them anymore. I tried leaving my camera at home but then I just saw too much I wanted pictures of. :confused:

Samsung S730; every time you turn it on, it defaults to auto-flash
I don't know about the S730, but my L85 also defaults to "flash on" (actually red eye) if I turn it on in Auto mode. So I don't. I turn it to "Program" and then it retains any setting I want it to have. Once it's on I can then select other manual or auto modes if I want to, but leaving it in Program mode means it's ready for immediate use - and the flash won't go off.

This has basically been true for every P&S I've ever owned.

Amateurs new to SLR photography who just up the contrast on EVERY SINGLE PICTURE they take, then call the album "art". Pumping the contrast helps P&S photos, but only stresses how little you know about taking a picture when paired with a SLR photo.

I'm like everyone else, and I'm pretty sure I've posted it too, but so many people have seen my photos recently and said, "WOW! Your photos turn out so nice, what kind of camera is that?" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH makes me want to pull out my hair!!!!!!!

I take pictures at parties a lot, many times putting them on my website and giving people business cards to find the photos. I don't like to call myself a photographer, because there's always at least 5 other girls running around with their P&Shoots calling themselves photographers. I think in order to call yourself a photographer, you need to know how to adjust settings to make a picture look good, pushing a button makes you a button pusher, not a photographer.

I've been waiting for a thread like this! I have a few (some have been mentioned)

I think my number one pet peeve are the people that discredit taking professional portraits and quality work (and you know the level of work I'm talking about) as "ppppfftttt... anybody can do take that!" General dismissal of everything we try to do like technique, DOF, rule of thirds, composition, lighting... the list goes on! I don't generally shoot "snapshots"!

I totally agree with this one, to add to it, those people who want a great portrait but think you should charge Walmart prices.

My Pet Peeves...

I've had my fair share of p&c's... from the Kodak [FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]DX6490 to a Sony Cybershot but I don't even consider myself an amateur[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT], I'm so new at this. Amateur implies that you know at least a little bit about what you are doing. I know that I'll be learning to take the perfect shot in the years to come. But what really grinds my gears are people who snicker behind my back when I make a mistake. I have had a few of them, I turn and just stare at them blankly (something I'm really, really, really good at-- comes with years of customer service work) until they either shut up and keep their comments to themselves or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I don't like snide remarks about equipment I'm using, either. 'Only a noob uses a Sony a200'. So? Why is that so bad? I can't justify spending thousands of dollars on camera equipment that I haven't got the foggiest notion how to use.

Photographing people who feel compelled to make faces at the camera. My brothers and father are known for this. They even made faces at our photographer for my wedding.

Dirty lenses. My dogs are usually the subject of most of my shots but if I'm not quick enough to get out of their way, I usually get a slimy lens.

I don't like snide remarks about equipment I'm using, either. 'Only a noob uses a Sony a200'. So? Why is that so bad? I can't justify spending thousands of dollars on camera equipment that I haven't got the foggiest notion how to use.

What losers.

Gearheads. People who want to do nothing but explore the entire contents of your camera bag, compare it against theirs, then tell you all the fancy gear they plan on getting. Then look at you like your the jerk when they tell you all about how they can't wait to get a medium format digital back on their Rebel.

*sigh*
You've just described my sister. And she can't take pictures...
So she'll compare her bajillion $ camera to my fuji prosumer, and make me feel like crap that I'm a broke student who can't afford anything better....
but then I'll look at her pictures, and giggle to myself.

Back when I was in photog. school for a year, we called those people gearhead geeks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back