photography pet peaves

people who simply say "Enjoy" when they post an image. I don't need to be told to enjoy ... and what makes them so darn-smug-sure that I the image is so awesome than I can't help but feel joy when I view their shot.

OK, another peeve (although a minor one) is this, and is more a photography forum thing than photography in general.

I don't like it when people put long lists of the equipment they own in their Sig line, instead of a link to their work.

With all due respect, I couldn't care in the slightest what equipment a person owns... owning a particular camera, lens, etc., is MEANINGLESS to me, but the pictures are not. Anybody can own the world's best camera system, all that means is that your credit card wasn't over the limit at the time of purchase.

To me, the best way to show me what equipment you have is to list what you were using and your EXIF information when you post your pictures in the gallery.

If I recall correctly, TPF actually has a rule against long equipment lists in your sig lines anyway... I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

If you don't have an online gallery or are not ready to show your work, then how about something about yourself instead... something that share a bit of your personality.

The following:

D300, D80, D40, 70-200 VR, 105 VR, blah blah blah....

means nothing... doesn't tell you whether I know my butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to taking pictures.

If you MUST have something in your sig about your camera, how about something like "I shoot Nikon" or "I shoot Canon".

Just my humble opinion.

your "humble" opinion is probably going to make quite a few people a little angry...

OK, another peeve (although a minor one) is this, and is more a photography forum thing than photography in general.

I don't like it when people put long lists of the equipment they own in their Sig line, instead of a link to their work.<snip>

As my dad says, "Don't show me what's in your bag, show me what's on your wall!" ;)

Yeah I can see the list of equipment thing in ones sig becoming annoying if people tend to use it as a bragging means. However, sometimes I find it helps to weigh against some peoples opinions posted in other threads in the forum. It helps to see if someone has a biased opinion for particular equipment when assisting someone who is looking to buy. But in that same sense you're right, someone could simply put "I shoot Nikon" etc.

i just put my stuff, becasue 1) i'm proud of my equipment. Kind of like on a car forum, i'm sure a lot of people have what kind of car they drive in their sig.
2)so i dont have to write down what i was using for every photo i post.

but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I also have noticed that it has been beneficial to others that i list my gear though. I've had people PM me asking how i liked the a700, or the sigma 10-20 a couple times now after they saw it in my sig. So if by having it in there i'm helping people out, then i think thats great. whenever i'm looking to buy something, i think some of the best advice is from people who already own the stuff

In general, People who interrupt my creativity with their banter....

Kinda like interrupting a conversation or listening in on a conversation. Even worse... people who interrupt me to talk about equipment. Its the same group that usually get into a contest over equipment.

I'm usually pretty good at maintaining my composure and not come off as angry. I have convinced myself that I might be standing there silently for a few moments just thinking about the next step and that could be interpreted as a good time to spark conversation.

My other pet peeves...

Non-constructive critiques.... we are all learning and if someone doesn't want to contribute to the learning process they should just keep their comments to themselves.

The fact that our society is paranoid of individuals with cameras.... Sparks the "I'm not a pervert" syndrome in me.

I started wearing headphones and my mp3 player just for that reason.
People just wont shut up...

i just put my stuff, becasue 1) i'm proud of my equipment. Kind of like on a car forum, i'm sure a lot of people have what kind of car they drive in their sig.
2)so i dont have to write down what i was using for every photo i post.

but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I also have noticed that it has been beneficial to others that i list my gear though. I've had people PM me asking how i liked the a700, or the sigma 10-20 a couple times now after they saw it in my sig. So if by having it in there i'm helping people out, then i think thats great. whenever i'm looking to buy something, i think some of the best advice is from people who already own the stuff

Please note I said INSTEAD of a link to their work... not UNDER a link to their work, like yours is...

Another thought on this...

Cameras are not like cars in the sense that cars are both to be seen and to be driven.

A lot of people really dress up their cars for the sole purpose of showing them off. Yes, the cars can be driven, but the real reason for the cars (the custom wheels, the custom sound systems, the paint jobs, etc.) is STYLE.

Cameras are simply for taking pictures. I suppose you could pinstripe them so that they would look "hot", but really that would be kind of silly to most people.

The entire purpose of a camera is not to impress other people, it is to take pictures. There is no other reason to own one...

In photography, it isn't about the quality of your equipment, it is about what you DO with your equipment... the same cannot be said for the automotive world... many of the coolest cars in the world are never actually driven any farther than on or off the trailer taking them to the next car show.

Another pet peeve is anybody with a camera can now be a "photographer". 90% of the people that call themselves "pro's", SUCK! Just because I own a pair of tennis shoes does not make me an athlete!

I feel like that sometimes. When you go to a general place and see random people carrying equipment that serious photographers use, It makes me think, "well if everyone is doing it, then what the hell am i studying up and trying to learn for?"

even though most of the time, they buy it for normal here and there shots.

makes me feel like a total newbie thats never gunna measure up. :(

I feel like that sometimes. When you go to a general place and see random people carrying equipment that serious photographers use, It makes me think, "well if everyone is doing it, then what the hell am i studying up and trying to learn for?"

even though most of the time, they buy it for normal here and there shots.

makes me feel like a total newbie thats never gunna measure up. :(
Ah, but people like that don't have a clue what they're doing. My dad bought an SLR camera for his vacation to Egypt. He has no idea how to use it so he's sending his wife to the local community college to take a class just to figure out how to use the camera.:lmao:

Ah, but people like that don't have a clue what they're doing. My dad bought an SLR camera for his vacation to Egypt. He has no idea how to use it so he's sending his wife to the local community college to take a class just to figure out how to use the camera.:lmao:

hehe, well that makes me feel a little better when im standing next to them with my camera :lol:

Equipment does not make you into a photographer.

Not enough people understand this.

"nice camera, no wonder you're pictures come out nice"
... No I spent a lot of time to understand how photography works, thank you

This is sort of a peeve, but it has to do with a certain incident that happened to me about 6 months ago.

I entered a local photography contest last fall, and it was the first time I ever entered my work in a contest. I put a lot of time and effort into refining, printing, and professionally mounting 4 of my landscapes to be judged in this competition. The total number of photos entered was something like 400 from local area people. Like I said, I had never entered a photo contest before, and I had no expectations at all.

After the competition was over, and the ribbons were hung next to the winning entries, there were people milling around the gallery and looking at the results (no, I didnt win anything, but 1 of my 4 works received honorable mention).

I overheard a conversation between 2 people, a middle aged guy and a much older guy. The middle aged guy was showing the old guy some of the photos and from what little I heard from him (wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but it was a smaller room), he sounded very cynical and snobby. He singled one of my landscape photos, not knowing me or my work, and proceeded to tell the old guy "Now take this one for example, with digital cameras, anyone can do something like this. These days, you just run an effect in photoshop, and its easy." I wanted so bad to stop him and say "F U!! You dont know me or how much time and work I put into this photograph!" But I kept my mouth shut and walked away, but I was pissed.

I mean really, who in the hell is he to go cocking off about something he knows nothing about at all, trying to sound like a know-it-all in front of someone else he's with.

It really pissed me off that someone can just look at a photo and not think twice about degrading the work of someone they dont even know. I spent several hours processing and editing that photograph and it received honorable mention by the judges. I was very thrilled that the judges even considered it at all. Then, you have butt holes walking around cutting down your work when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Sorry to ramble, but its been 6 months since then, and the disrespect still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back