Photography portfolio

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Pamela, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Pamela

Pamela TPF Noob!

Hi, I need to do a final portfolio for my black and white photography class. It needs to be 10 prints that are themed together. It has to include a self-portrat and a social/political statement photo. I really need suggestions for a possible theme. I am mainly interested in music, and I could do this, except that I can't think of a social/political picture for it. Any suggestions? Or possible suggestions for a different theme?

2. Cuervo79

Cuervo79 Guest

Musical, hmm try photographing someone playing in the street, concert where everybody is drinking beer, most of the themes its up to you, its like telling you that your eye for photography has to be in a standard, be creative and find something that moves you....

3. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

Music and policical. Find a rap group and take a picture of them dressed up in their thug clothes. LOL Thats prolly what i would do. Or just get a picture of a gang member and say he i in a rap group LOL

4. Pamela

Pamela TPF Noob!

The only problem is that I'm in a small town in the upper peninsula of Michigan...I'm very limited in the types of people I can find around here to photograph, especially now that's it's summer and the college people are all away. So, no gang members here or rap groups...or anything for that matter

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Pamela: since this is where you find yourself, why not make that your theme? A small-town theme. It's been years since I've seen Marquette, but maybe it hasn't changed too much. B&W will lend itself nicely to this....try a few "small town, USA" shots, like a country store, the local post office, anything that has that picturesque quality. Drive outside of town a ways and find someone on a tractor, look for a barn, a silo, a newly-planted field. The local cemetery might also have some good photo ops. Instead of thinking about how limited you are, try to look at all the opportunities this one theme can give you. A social/political image doesn't have to be more complex than a local candidate's signage someplace. You've a wealth of material. Start looking, and have fun with it! :D

6. Cuervo79

Cuervo79 Guest

I was reading an article in american photo were it said, "art is political" just go with your eye...

7. Face

Face TPF Noob!

punk rawk kids... they are all about making statements... take a picture of some of those kids if you have any in the area. maybe a kid with a DARE Tshirt drinking... for the irony

8. cindavphoto

cindavphoto TPF Noob!

Almost all music is social and/or political. Music brings people together. It fuses people with providing them a common interest. Music makes political statements when grung bands sing about how crappy the world is...or rap artist sing about life on the streets.

Oh, how about taking pictures of albums of ground breaking bands like The Beatles, The Doors, The BeeGees, and the Album with Walk This Way by Aerosmith and RunDMC. The fusing of rock and rap in that song was very social and political.

9. aeser

aeser TPF Noob!

take a picture of cops shutting down a show, or a musician getting evicted, or the process of promoting a show.