Photography school

babsgoodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am planning on going to the Bakersfield College, here in my home town, to study Photography. They told me to start in Elemantary photography, to learn the basics, dark room ect. Thats from August to Dec. Dont they usually offer a more advanced courses for when I am done with the basics?
(
Some family members were ranting and raving, they think its a waist of time and money to learn about film photography when most everything is going and already is digital.)

hmm... I think the same... you won't learn a lot in photo schools... I found an evening classes but there we will be practising only.. you know... people gather , walk together and take pics, than we tell each other what is wrong or good in the pictures and the photos are then took by the teacher and he tells us what's going on with them.
I think that the best "school" of photography is here :) I learned everything what I know thanks to TPF :) (ok before I could use my zenith but "use" only... not take good pic :p)

So What should I do, I know almost nothing about the technicalls of photography, Should I just purchase some books? I was really looking forward to going to school, I figured that it would teach me ALOT.

School is good. You can learn a lot - and most of it comes from talking to the other students. 'How did you do that?' 'Why did you do this?' kind of thing.
I did a Degree in Photography then went on to be a pro in London. I was earning in a week more than most people earned in a month, my work was being published world wide and I was having a ball. My mother's comment? 'It's all very well but when are you going to get a proper job?'
Ignore your family and follow your heart. What you don't want to happen is in 10 or 20 years time be wondering what would have happened if you had done the course.

So what do you want to know about the technicals? My PM box is always open to seekers after the truth. Or start a thread and all the other technical whizz kids can give you the benefit of their knowledge too. This Forum is all about learning and sharing so don't be shy.
And before you say anything there is no such thing as a stupid or dumb question. Ask away.

Thank you for that Hertz, What do you think about NYIP, I have heard alot about that photography school on these threads, and I went on it and it does seem to be better than my home town Bakersfield College, I think mainly because NYIP focuses on only photography

What do you think, have you ever heard of it?

If you're looking to get a job in photography at some sort of organization, a newpaper say for example. It helps a lot to have a degree in photography. It shows employers several things. For one that you do know how to work a camera, secondly it shows some degree of determination. Its not the easiest thing in the world to do to get a degree from a college. And even if you do only use film in your college classes, many of the principles will carry over to digital.

Focusing only on photography may be a bad idea. Consider that you will be choosing a career in art. Make sure they offer classes in the painful Art History and Graphic Design etc. Knowledge of all mediums go hand in hand towards your journey as an artist.

Like all crafts; college can seem like an added expense. Why not get a job assisting? Move your way up the ranks so to speak. Personally; no one asked to to see my BA before I was hired. Fact of the matter is your schooling may forever shape your life. Do not deny yourself anything.

The only thing that I can say for sure is that photography takes a lot of work and perseverance. But hey; what doesn't? Definitely beats pushing pencils for a living.

I went to school and receieved an AA in Professional Photography. The school was geared more towards portrait than the photojournalism or art side of photography. There are lots of schools that offer photography degrees, just make sure the one that you choose actually teaches what you want to get out of Photography. The school that I attended was called Ridgewater College in Willmar, Minnesota. I know that the entire second year is now taught primarily digital, but everyone that first year has to learn film and developing. You have to learn where photo has come from before you can learn where it is going. I work in the portrait field now but I am starting to lean towards the artistic side of it more and more. Just do your research before you go off to a school and see what side of photo they teach. You will not be disappointed in a carrer in photo.

Islair

Now that we are on the subject, what would be a good place for a forigner to study photography in the states? I saw brochures of academies like the Academy of Art college in San fransisco, but most of my family told me that living in San Fransisco is very expensive, besides having a part time job to pay for all the necesities... If I can my goal is to work in fashion photography... but I have no idea were to start.

I want to study outside Guatemala, because there is no degree that has its based in photography just simple courses, and the work of fashion photography is not well developed here.

I doubt that there is a place more expensive than NYC. It has been more than 10 years since I lived there; as always careful investigation will be key. I do know that FIT and SVA can provide somewhat reasonable housing. Be sure to fully investigate grant and student loan options.

Most reactions

Back