Photography School

SKDink55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a dilemma and I'm not asking you to solve it for me, but i'd like to hear your thougts!

I will be a sophomore at Western Kentucky University next semester. Yes, they have the #1 potojournalism program in the nation, but photojournalism isn't really what I'm interested in. There are a lot of journalism classes that go into that major (duh) and I would want to focus more on the PHOTO part of it.

So I was thinking of transferring to a school that offers either a B.A. or B.F.A. in photography. I would really like a career in this in the long (or short :)) run, but I am just testing the waters right no.

I've narrowed it down to:
Watkins College of Art and Design--Nashville, TN
School of Visual Arts--NYC
California College of the Arts-San Fran, CA

So my request for your insight is specifically:
1) Did you attend/know anything about any of those 3 schools?
2) What is your general opinion of getting a degree in photography? i.e. usefulness
3) And if you do have a degree in photography, what did you do with it?

I am interested in peoples opinions on this--it definitely won't decide anything for me, but i'm curious!

Thanks to all of you,
Steph

You did not say clearly what you want to do with your photography.

If you want to be a studio, commercial photographer, or teach, then yes get a degree.

If you want to be an "artist," and you want to go to school, then go for a BFA in art history, or another degree with a minor in art history. It will be more useful if you decide its not for and you want to eat later on in life.

Talent in photography plus a degree in business will get you farther than a degree in photography. The portfolio is your resume, the business skills will help you sell your service.

Most reactions

Back