Photography tips..

BOOSTED

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[FONT=arial, helvetica]I have a Nikon D90 with the 18-105 lens that comes with it, and i want to learn how to take photos that actually look good. anyone can take good shots, but how do you make the picture look good?

all the time i see pictures like this...
and the ground and everything has so much detail and color.

now is it possible to take a picture like this with my camera? or do i need a better lens?

also, are pictures like this even possible right from the camera, or do they all have some photoshop to make them look better? i cant see all these photos being PS to make them look good, that would take way to long.

im open to anything ppl will throw at me.
settings, etc.
63.jpg
[/B][/QUOTE]

[/FONT]

Those colors looked photoshopped to me. That yellow is screaming out the page. And that green looks waaay too bright.

Those colors looked photoshopped to me. That yellow is screaming out the page. And that green looks waaay too bright.

Cant remember the thread but there was atlest more than 100 pics. If someone took the time to photoshop all of them wow.

Is there specific things in photoshop to look into to make pics look like that?

From Another Forum:

Exif Data shows:

Canon 1D Mk III with a 16-35 F2.8L lens.

Photoshop data:

# about = "uuid:14231504-89aa-11dd-adc6-95971bad0a23"
# xmlns:crs = "http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/"
# crs:Version ==> "4.5"
# crs:WhiteBalance ==> "As Shot"
# crs:Temperature ==> "5050"
# crs:Tint ==> "+5"
# crs:Exposure ==> "0.00"
# crs:Shadows ==> "5"
# crs:Brightness ==> "+29"
# crs:Contrast ==> "+39"
# crs:Saturation ==> "+10"
# crs:Sharpness ==> "62"
# crs:LuminanceSmoothing ==> "54"
# crs:ColorNoiseReduction ==> "57"
# crs:ChromaticAberrationR ==> "0"
# crs:ChromaticAberrationB ==> "0"
# crs:VignetteAmount ==> "0"
# crs:ShadowTint ==> "0"
# crs:RedHue ==> "0"
# crs:RedSaturation ==> "0"
# crs:GreenHue ==> "0"
# crs:GreenSaturation ==> "0"
# crs:BlueHue ==> "0"
# crs:BlueSaturation ==> "0"
# crs:FillLight ==> "52"
# crs:Vibrance ==> "+10"
# crs:HighlightRecovery ==> "77"

---

Basically he used photoshop, shot the photo in RAW and corrected everything.

I know by just bumping the contrast it'll make your pictures pop a lot more. There's other stuff you can do, but contrast is a good place to start.

Is there specific things in photoshop to look into to make pics look like that?

The number and type of adjustments in photoshop to make a picture look better or different are nearly infinite.

However, the single most influential post-processing adjustment, the most basic to take a photo from mundane/out-of-the-camera is boosting the mid-tones. This is because, in general, the human eye *love* mid tone contrast. The most basic form of this is to give an image even just a slight 's-curve' adjustment with curves or tighten the highs, lows and adjust the midtone slider in levels (do a google search, there are a million tutorials on how to use curves and levels adjustments).

There are many other and some more (and some less) refined ways to make these types of adjustments, but you'll see the biggest gains by simple adjustments to midtone contrast. It's a starting block.

Now the lens that image uses (the 16-35L) is going to do a bit of that naturally. It's how it's engineered (the 17-40L is actually more punchy in the midtone range, but I digress). So what you see there is likely caused by the lens quality and some post processing.

As far as a 'whole 100 images' -- midtone adjustments can be made in lightroom or ACR and applied to a number of images at once. It's not rocket science to bulk edit. Also, even in photoshop, you can copy an adjustment layer across multiple images, or, you can open the levels or curves adjustments while holding down the alt (or control, I can't check right now) key brings up the previous settings used. You can somewhat quickly make your way through hundreds of images.

Most reactions

Back