Photography when wearing glasses...

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by GeorgeUK, Jun 7, 2008.

1. GeorgeUK

GeorgeUK TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ...is imo really frustrating.

Not being able to put your eye properly up to the viewfinder is annoying, with the ruddy things getting in the way.

I don't know about anyone else who wears glasses (or otherwise), but if I'm shooting for extended periods my eyes feel really strained and I get a headache. After the hours spent in the British Museum, I really needed to sit down with a paracetamol.

Has anyone purchased contact lenses specifically for use with their camera?

I know there is the adjuster one can use to take into account of one's blindness but I find it frustrating to finish looking through the view finder, look up and be 'blind' again.

Anyone else wear glasses and feel the same?

2. chris

chris TPF Noob!

Check out the viewfinders of various cameras. I wear glasses continually and never have any problems using a F80 and F5. I can see the full view and never feel any eye strain even when using them for long periods. I occassionally check that the dioptre compensation for the viewfinder is correctly set; on the F80 it is a small slider bar that is very easy to move inadvertently, the F5 has a lift and turn button that is not so easily moved accidentally.

I believe that some viewfinders give an image at an apparent distance of 1 metre while others are at infinity, maybe this makes a difference to you.

3. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I take my glasses off and hope that the autofocus works!

4. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if I took my glasses off I wouldn't be able to see the meter in my viewfinder.

I normally deal with my glasses or wear contacts. I have transisions too which makes it hard when its sunny out as I cant see anything...

5. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't, either. I trust the camera's metering most of the time. For important shots, I use the D80's automatic bracket.

6. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have to stop and think about it "Do I ever take my glasses off to shoot?". But no, my glasses aren't a problem at all.
    I never thought they could be and I guess I'm lucky they aren't.

7. K_Pugh

K_Pugh No longer a newbie, moving up!

My glasses really annoy me. I used to wear contact lenses and had no problems at all, it was great and i think knowing that makes wearing glasses seem all the more worse.

I use an F50, fairly big viewfinder and i have no problems getting close enough or straining problems. The only real problem is that it can leave marks on my glasses which is annoying as i have to clean them afterwards.

I can't use the viewfinder/rangefinder on my FED's as it's too small. It would be no problem with contact lenses though, or even glasses off and changing the diopter but putting glasses on and off all the time is another PITA!

8. dylj

dylj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Would taking the rubber eyecaps off of the viewfinder help? I know that's what I did when I was using telescopes.

9. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some time, remind me to get a picture of the massive scuff on my glasses lens......

10. Overkill-F1

Overkill-F1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I adjusted the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder for use without my glasses. I'll put the stringy-thingy on my glasses and hang them around my neck like my camera strap. Then it's alternating between the glasses on my face or the viewfinder to my eye.
    ...Terry

11. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mine drive me crazy. I have progressives ... and need them as soon as I take them away from the viewfinder on my 30D, so I tend to shoot with them on. I started wearing them when I was in my late 40's, so never would consider contacts.

12. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If my specs are driving me particularly nuts I will remove them for everything except for focusing. This generally lasts for only a couple of exposures as this becomes more annoying than the glasses simply being there in the first place.