Photojournalism attempt - critiques/comments?

crashcart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really enjoy the photojournalism style and the challenge of shooting on the fly (even though I just started shooing pictures.) I was wondering if there were any tips, thoughts, etc. about this picture and what I'm doing wrong/right and what I can do to improve...

InnerHarborHomeless-small.jpg

Wow... I really like this shot. I haven't done much in photojournalism so I don't have advice but I do like this shot a lot!

Not a bad attempt however just as is it looks like you were passing by and snapped a photo. The point of photojournalism is telling a story with your photos, yes it can be done with one photo but it has to be a strong photo. I think a series of photos can help tell the full story. Dont be afraid go over there and start a conversation find out more about him ask questions and find out if you could document his life for a day. While talking to him find out the 5 Ws (Who, What, When, Where, Why) for basic caption information. Basic tips for shooting is make sure to capture overall, medium and closeup photos. Look for any emotion/interaction with him and his son or emotion/interaction from other people passing by. Also look for those unique shots from different angles and perspectives. Also a good tip if you have a scheduled shoot have an idea what images you need while shooting it before you go. This of course is basic stuff but I hope it helps.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I love getting feedback; good or bad. Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

I find the picture disturbing!

Not a criticism of the picture but the man's unfortunate situation. Unlike the panhandles of Toronto looking for money this fellow looking for a necessity. Sad indeed.

A powerful picture in my opinion.

The way I see it, a single picture can tell a story, and this one does.
It's an eye-grabber.

Maybe it's just me, but to me this one picture does tell a story, but different from what most here are saying.

I see he has a child with him. But the sign has no mention of 'us', so I think either it may be an old sign used when the child isn't there, or maybe the child isn't his but a nephew or niece.

I see that the child is playing, not just sitting around looking drawn and starving. So I really wonder just how desperate the man may be. Even more, i wonder why he has the child on the street with him at all.

I also see a full cigarette in his hand. Goes to show his priorities.

So, to me, I think this is a picture that does tell a good bit of the story. More would be helpful of course, but I think it is a pretty well framed picture, that if anything could be used to make a point, on either side of the aisle.

Maybe it's just me, but to me this one picture does tell a story, but different from what most here are saying.

I see he has a child with him. But the sign has no mention of 'us', so I think either it may be an old sign used when the child isn't there, or maybe the child isn't his but a nephew or niece.

I see that the child is playing, not just sitting around looking drawn and starving. So I really wonder just how desperate the man may be. Even more, i wonder why he has the child on the street with him at all.

So, to me, I think this is a picture that does tell a good bit of the story. More would be helpful of course, but I think it is a pretty well framed picture, that if anything could be used to make a point, on either side of the aisle.

Perfect explanation! I thought the same things... though I didn't think about the cigarette point. :thumbup:

well i hope someone gave him that smoke.i dont want to think he bought a pack of smokes and not feed that kid.
good picture

The fact his cigarette is unlit and I don't see a lighter suggests to me that he hasn't had it for long, doesn't have another and plans to keep a hold of it for at least a little while. The child playing says to me that children tend to accept the reality of their surroundings quicker than adults and continue to do what children do. I believe he puts that child first at all times. The sign doesn't say "us" but it doesn't say "me" either, there is no spare flesh in the words he's written.

To be honest when I first looked at this my initial instinct was to look away which probably says more about me than I care to admit to myself. I'm glad I took the time to really look at this photo.

Thanks for sharing.

For me, this is the first point I noticed, and the main point of the picture. I have the feeling that even if he got it from somebody, he doesn't stop at one per day...
I also might have cropped the picture a little bit tighter, or might not have put him in the center of the frame.

I too noticed the cigarette but that did not take away from the impact of the photo for me.

My wife goes to a gym next to a food bank, folk lined up smoking & stinking of booze waiting to get in.

I know this is supposed to be talking about photography but I think this picture is a subject worthy of respectful discussion.

I dunno about cropping F5.3 seems to get rid of anything un-needed in the photo, the right hand side does seem to tear off the view but to be honest with this type of photo it's really hard not to look at the subject. Great photo! I hope you share others with us!

Im a noob to a lot of this, but your photo draws the viewer into the photo. The comments that many have left are excellent and appropriate. You are on the right path for photojournalism. This is a great shot.

Most reactions

Back