Photojournalism?

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know much about photojournalism at a business stand point...
The first (maybe stupid) question is: How does one make money in Photojournalism?
I understand that money shouldn't be your thrust for doing it... but how do you make a living with photojournalism?

Also, do most photojournalists also shoot portraits/weddings etc... to make extra money?

I am at a loss right now because in a few weeks I will have monthly payments for my insurance, and website, etc...
I'm only 17 so I feel very scared about everything.... where I should go? what should I do?
I know for one thing that I would LOVE to make the money I need from photography, but not just portraits and studio stuff but photojournalism.

That is my dream, how can I make that a reality?

First stop is to buy this
http://www.writersservices.com/agent/
It has useful and informative sections as well as a complete list of every publication in the world with the sort of stuff they are looking for, their rates, contact names and addresses. It's the bible for anyone creative who wants to make a living.
You can do articles on local craftsmen or 'personalities', etc. Take some nice pictures, write a little piece about the whole thing (or get someone else to do it) then send it to suitable magazines.
I have known people do 6 or 12 articles and have sent them off on the rounds. You get a list of publications that might like what you've done and then send an article to each of them (or the first six or...). They will either buy it or send it back. If you get an article back then you send it off to the next one on the list, and so on.
The people that I knew who did this made a reasonable income. It takes a little while to set up but then it almost runs itself. You just keep feeding in a new article now and then.
Another option is to approach local newspapers - they tend to use freelancers.
But you realy need to get a copy of Writers and Artists Yearbook. Amazon sell it.

Littleman! I didn't know that was your dream. Dang, with your talent as a classic photographer, you are going to ROCK at it. As far as the money goes, from what I've been told, you have to pay your dues. And once you pay your dues, the money isn't always that great. You do it because you love it. A lot of PJ's I know make money on the side with some traditional photography, but mostly, they are just barely make ends meet but love the life they lead. They wouldn't trade it for anything.
I know that I'm addicted.
Best to you!
Cindy

elsaspet said:
Littleman! I didn't know that was your dream. Dang, with your talent as a classic photographer, you are going to ROCK at it. As far as the money goes, from what I've been told, you have to pay your dues. And once you pay your dues, the money isn't always that great. You do it because you love it. A lot of PJ's I know make money on the side with some traditional photography, but mostly, they are just barely make ends meet but love the life they lead. They wouldn't trade it for anything.
I know that I'm addicted.
Best to you!
Cindy
yeah, that is my dream... and I'm going to work towards it!
I used to write a lot and I need to start back up again!
I personally don't care if I live in a shack with not much money... if I can touch people with my photos/stories and tell it how it is then that would be worth so much more than money!
Unfortuniatly my dad has different views on that...
He works a boring desk job that he hates... he hates his boss... but he makes a lot of money. I don't really want to end up like that and get myself trapped into doing that.
So, I will start journalism and get my name out there... for now, to make enough money to pay for insurance/gas I am going to see how my photography business goes. I just made about $100 today with my first client. (senior portraits)
I think I will keep that up and work on Photojournalism also. :)

If I have to get a job at HEB or somewhere like that then I will.
I would love to get a job somewhere doing photoshop work though.... lol That's all I do here anyways. :lol:

Why do you want to be a photojournalist? What really moves you?

danalec99 said:
Why do you want to be a photojournalist? What really moves you?
Being able to tell a story that people in another part of the world may never know. That and hopefully being able to move people somehow because from what I've seen.... no one really cares about a lot of stuff that happens around the world.
That is what really moves me to want to be a photojournalist. I believe there is a place for everyone and I think this is where I should be and want to be.

If there are other reasons, please tell me so I can learn more. Remember that I'm only starting out... so if I have the wrong idea about everything.... correct me. :)

I have been working with a paper for years now. I am not a photojournalist. I do advertising, editorial and production work for them. let me know if you need me to elaborate further. Long story short I have a strong grasp on the publishing world.

Our photographers are salary. Around 25,000 dollars a year. In our mountain town freelance work is thrown at them so that helps.

Getting started is arguable to say the least. At our paper everyone has a BA or at least a strong attempt at one. The deal there is that your portfolio needs to be super strong to get picked up. I am not saying a BA is the only route. Strong work speaks for it self.

Submission of your work is key. Hertz is on point with the going down the list theory. I will add that your book should be specific. Photography is a saturated market. Finding YOUR niche will move things along.

One thing to keep in mind when starting photojournalism is that you will get the worst assignments. Consider that you will have to show your prowess at shooting the annual chicken fry as opposed to the protest of tearing down a historical building.

LittleMan said:
Being able to tell a story that people in another part of the world may never know. That and hopefully being able to move people somehow because from what I've seen.... no one really cares about a lot of stuff that happens around the world.
That is what really moves me to want to be a photojournalist. I believe there is a place for everyone and I think this is where I should be and want to be.

If there are other reasons, please tell me so I can learn more. Remember that I'm only starting out... so if I have the wrong idea about everything.... correct me. :)

Their your hopes about and reasons why you want to do it. You can't learn more reasons you want to do it. Good luck with it. It looks like a great job (except the money part if you dont earn enough).

Daniel said:
Their your hopes about and reasons why you want to do it. You can't learn more reasons you want to do it.
That is true... but if there is a reason that most people do it that I have never heard before... it may change my reasoning. :)
Like, if I'm mistaken about something... my reasoning for doing it will be wrong and when I learn the correct way to do it my reasoning will then change.

Photography is a saturated market. Finding YOUR niche will move things along.
What do you mean by this?
Are you talking about photography style, or writing style? (or both)?
Or are you talking about what I write about/photgraph?

Thanks for expounding. :)

Photojournalism in my opinion is a very noble profession. It is awesome that you have a heart for it. Like mentioned here 'real money' would not be the motivating factor for folks who go in to this field. Then again there are countless photojournalists who makes good money by doing ad/corporate/wedding/portrait work on the side. It is a great plus that you are very young and that you have no strings attached. I wish you the very best!

Some links that you might be interested:
Photo District News - The subscription is a bit pricey, but WELL WORTH it!
http://www.magnumphotos.com
http://www.viiphoto.com/
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/contents.html
http://www.nikonnet.com/dyn/inspire/legends_index.html
http://www.nppa.org/
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/eclectic/jobs/outdoor_jobs3.htm
http://www.journalismjobs.com/

Couple of documentaries:
1. War Photographer - A documentary on James Nachtwey (co-founder/member of Agency VII)
2. W. Eugene Smith: Photography Made Difficult

LittleMan said:
... but if there is a reason that most people do it that I have never heard before... it may change my reasoning. :)
Like, if I'm mistaken about something... my reasoning for doing it will be wrong and when I learn the correct way to do it my reasoning will then change.
http://www.nikonnet.com/dyn/inspire/legends_index.html

As you develop your portfolio, try and find a focus. Maybe cars or hoses or whatever. A book that is too general may be passed over. As you are submitting your work be flexible. You may come across a publisher who says we only deal in Airplane publications. Re submit a book of Airplane photos.

Most reactions

Back