Photojournalism

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by M-O-S, Apr 29, 2007.

1. M-O-S

M-O-S TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Uh, I have a question, how do you get into photojournalism or become a photojournalist? Such as when you become one, and then you get sent to Iraq.....

I know that you have to apply for photography/arts courses in university(ies)............

2. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know how that works in your country, but I would say you basically have two ways:

1. some formal or official background. if you have some studies on photography and journalism, that will definitely help

2. have a portfolio with which you can show what you do and thus what you could do

of course, 1&2 is better!

3. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    forgot to mention that, of course, before you are assigned works like that you will have to do A LOT of work which will imply unatractive things near home, etc (you know, take photos of some politicians' press conference, etc:sad anim: )

4. M-O-S

M-O-S TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, with hopes of not getting killed or wasted

Lol

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I have been working with the local paper for close to ten years now. You need a B.A or an M.F.A. We would hire someone if their work was exceptional, but that has yet to be seen.

Concentrate on your work and education. Things will then fall into place. Being sent to Iraq is a whole other story.

Love & Bass

6. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is a must read for wannabe pj's (as well as working pj's).

7. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

well, I haven't looked at all the stuff, but I agree with one of the comments: Yes, it's a great way to tell stories, but there's not a lot of 'new' going on there.

I think craig said it all.

pascal

8. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think you need to start small and work up. As in anything you need to have lots of experience shooting for papers and not a little luck. If photojournalisim is your dream following it takes alot of work and dedication and not being afraid to put you time in at some small places before you think some major paper is going to send you to Iraq to cover the war.

9. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    The few I have met all have formal education with extensive pre/post graduation experience behind the camera. If you are in high school, join the school newspaper. If you are in college, apply to the college newspaper. In the summers or not in school, apply for work at the local newspaper. You get the picture....

I've been told that the ability to write well will also work in your favor...

10. montresor

montresor TPF Noob!

I got started by being able to take photos that went along with stories I was writing freelance. Editors are always happy if they don't have to think about rounding up art to go with a story. Of course I already had the "in" as a writer. You might consider hooking up with a local freelance writer and taking the photos for any article he's writing. I speak from personal experience when I say that freelance writers can be persuaded easily with the help of a couple of pints.

11. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Find something "big" to shoot, preferrably more than one "big" thing, and then approach a wire service agency. Depending on how they like it, they will sign you to a contract or they won't.
    My agent calls me to do assignments, but I always have a yes or no sayso. Most times it's no right now, as I do weddings full time, and PJ is on the far back burner.

12. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's funny to me, since I just read an article about how most Wedding Photographers are just waiting to do it to become a PJ.