Photojournalism

M-O-S

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Uh, I have a question, how do you get into photojournalism or become a photojournalist? Such as when you become one, and then you get sent to Iraq.....

I know that you have to apply for photography/arts courses in university(ies)............

I don't know how that works in your country, but I would say you basically have two ways:

1. some formal or official background. if you have some studies on photography and journalism, that will definitely help

2. have a portfolio with which you can show what you do and thus what you could do

of course, 1&2 is better!

Such as when you become one, and then you get sent to Iraq.....

forgot to mention that, of course, before you are assigned works like that you will have to do A LOT of work which will imply unatractive things near home, etc (you know, take photos of some politicians' press conference, etc:sad anim: )

Yeah, with hopes of not getting killed or wasted

Lol

I have been working with the local paper for close to ten years now. You need a B.A or an M.F.A. We would hire someone if their work was exceptional, but that has yet to be seen.

Concentrate on your work and education. Things will then fall into place. Being sent to Iraq is a whole other story.

Love & Bass

This is a must read for wannabe pj's (as well as working pj's).

This is a must read for wannabe pj's (as well as working pj's).

well, I haven't looked at all the stuff, but I agree with one of the comments: Yes, it's a great way to tell stories, but there's not a lot of 'new' going on there.

I think craig said it all.

pascal

I think you need to start small and work up. As in anything you need to have lots of experience shooting for papers and not a little luck. If photojournalisim is your dream following it takes alot of work and dedication and not being afraid to put you time in at some small places before you think some major paper is going to send you to Iraq to cover the war.

The few I have met all have formal education with extensive pre/post graduation experience behind the camera. If you are in high school, join the school newspaper. If you are in college, apply to the college newspaper. In the summers or not in school, apply for work at the local newspaper. You get the picture....

I've been told that the ability to write well will also work in your favor...

I got started by being able to take photos that went along with stories I was writing freelance. Editors are always happy if they don't have to think about rounding up art to go with a story. Of course I already had the "in" as a writer. You might consider hooking up with a local freelance writer and taking the photos for any article he's writing. I speak from personal experience when I say that freelance writers can be persuaded easily with the help of a couple of pints.

Find something "big" to shoot, preferrably more than one "big" thing, and then approach a wire service agency. Depending on how they like it, they will sign you to a contract or they won't.
My agent calls me to do assignments, but I always have a yes or no sayso. Most times it's no right now, as I do weddings full time, and PJ is on the far back burner.

Find something "big" to shoot, preferrably more than one "big" thing, and then approach a wire service agency. Depending on how they like it, they will sign you to a contract or they won't.
My agent calls me to do assignments, but I always have a yes or no sayso. Most times it's no right now, as I do weddings full time, and PJ is on the far back burner.

That's funny to me, since I just read an article about how most Wedding Photographers are just waiting to do it to become a PJ.

I guess most of the advice is right so far in the thread. For me, I was always keen on photography and having retired from the Police after 30 years and moving to Ireland (south ), where my wife is from , decided to see if I could turn a love of photography into a job. I had been sending Sports work into the County press for a couple of years ( getting the odd picture published ), and then when a New Newspaper came on the market, I approached them and they took me on having seen some of my work. I now Freelance for 4 days a week with them . They are a weekly Newspaper, Colour and cover the whole of the county of Tipperary.. ( A Big county ). I usually have about 40 pics a week in each edition as well as covering soccer and GAA ( Hurling and Gaelic Football. ) I got my press card last month and now am a Member of the NUJ Uk and Ireland. I guess there was some luck involved, but you have to get out there take lots of pictures and pester the News Editors of local papers. Being Freelance, if you cover a decent Story you can also send your material into the Nationals, which I do from time to time and the publication payments are higher of course for National papers.. ( The Irish Star being one of them ) Working for local papers is not a high paying job, but it gets you out there and can lead to other work. Follow up pictures, as you own the Copyright to the pics , can pay well. I find that I may be working late into the night, editing pictures , especially for Sports stuff, as it can be time consuming finding the names to players to caption them and of course the time on the PC does consume a fair bit of time.
I am not sure if living in Ireland, lower population and therefore lower readership - exposure was a help or not. The media can be a little clicky and difficult to wriggle into and maybe if I was still in London I might still be trying to get a Press Card.. But in the End if you love and enjoy taking pictures and can produce the goods then you are in with a good chance of success. I hope this helps.
Andy - Tipperary ROI _ Ex Londoner....

That's funny to me, since I just read an article about how most Wedding Photographers are just waiting to do it to become a PJ.
I think alot of very succesful wedding photographers might not agree with this idea. I have done both and I think the more rewarding of the 2 would have to be weddings. To get int PJ (wich is what I originally wanted to do) you need to put in many years working for peanuts hoping for a big break and if you have the skills and ability to market yourself you may get that break. Just remember there are alot more guys toiling shooting for local dailies working for peanuts than there are people working for Time magazine getting sent to Iraq to cover the war.

In a previous career, I worked as a PJ for a local daily newspaper. After that I became the editor of a small town weekly for years (8 or 10, depending on how I count it... I was a fill-in for a year and a half after originally leaving the place), which basically meant taking all the pictures that were not supplied by submission with stories.

I "KNOW" what working for peanuts is like.

If you want to get a job at a weekly or a small daily, you can get a LOT of experience in a very short amount of time... but you are going to get paid nuthin and like it. Having said that, many people have gotten their careers started this way... one of the guys who was in the chain I worked for is now a PJ with Reuters, and is (the last I heard) in Cairo covering the middle east. At the time, he was't any better than I was... but he is now through a ton of hard work and sacrifice.

Most reactions

Back