Photojournalist Camera?

KevinR said:
But for photojournalism...... I might go into a different direction. Maybe a Leica M7. Amazingly sharp lenses and very quiet shutter. Or possible a TLR. Being able to hold at your waist gives you nice advantage if you are trying to be discreet. And again, a nice quiet shutter.
Much, much too expensive... unfortuniatly...
The max I could possibly spend is on a used Canon EOS 1V and I think that is the best I can get with the money I have. :)

KevinR said:
I am a biased Nikon user, so I would still go for F100 for the build of the body.
Well, I am going to go and try both the Nikon and the Canons side by side... I will make my decission there.
I just had this thread to make sure I was heading in the right direction with my thoughts. :)

Thanks!
-Chris

LittleMan said:
Well, I am going to go and try both the Nikon and the Canons side by side...
Canon 1V and Nikon F6.
Both are fine tools!

danalec99 said:
Canon 1V and Nikon F6.
Both are fine tools!
I'm just curious... since I haven't held either of them yet... Is the Nikon more bulky? It looks that way in the photos.

I think they look bulkier than they are. The balance is really nice and the materials that they put on the right hand grip is good too. I have to admit, I have fairly large hands though.

Never mind that I just jammed up the magazine back, I still think the Zeiss Ikon Super BC I just got is potentially the best manual camera I've ever played with -- built to last. Just make sure you get the standard back!!!

It's sturdy, fast to operate, and quiet, the latter being especially important in street/journo photography.

both the 1v and the f6 are terrific cameras, the f6 being the better of the two. I say an f100 would do just great, or an f4 or f5 (even an f3 if you dont mind manual focus).

the 1v you can get for ALOT cheaper though, a quick search on ebay, for instance shows that you can easily get it for under $1000. The f6 is going to start at $1800 or so on ebay, so you might want to go f100 (~600). these are all quite good cameras, so i'm sure you'll be happy with any of them.

Chris, if bulk is not your friend, you might want to take the rangefinder route! :)

danalec99 said:
Chris, if bulk is not your friend, you might want to take the rangefinder route! :)
bulk isn't a problem, and I would like to have a reliable/fast autofocus...
so I would rather go towards a more technicly advanced camera. :)

I think I am going to go with the EOS 1V :)

thebeginning said:
weird, i dont know why i thought it had 1. i wonder what the focusing screen looks like with 45 little dots on it :shock:
Like this:
45af1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back