Photojournalist Camera?

Dave_D said:
Okay, enough Canon talk already!..... I actually do have a few Canons, but I can't speak to anything of the newer models. I switched to the Nikon system when Canon came out with there EOS system. All of my Canon lenses became obsolete as there was no compatibility retained. Nikon, on the other hand, does retain backwards compatibility with there F mount lenses.

Canon changed because they wanted a better quality AF motor for the lenses, meaning they needed to open the lense mount larger. What you speak of Nikon not changing their mounts makes it better is just them saying we don't feel like making a better AF so we will keep the old lenses and just keep putting the motor in the lenses and not the body making it less quality :lol:

Somone is going to flame me lol.

hmmm... interesting... none of the Nikon users have come screaming yet... :lol:
EDIT: Maybe they know it's true... :meh:

(That will get em) ;)

You should be looking into a rangefinder camera instead. They are smaller, lighter, quieter and much faster off the hip. Flash will sync at all speeds if you get a leaf shutter camera.

darin3200 said:
Rangefinder = Leica. Leica = $$$. I don't understand how good an M6 or M7 can be to cost more than a 1v.

But of course I'll end up buying one eventually :lol:
That's how I feel about it...
They just cost sooo much... I don't think that for the money it could be better then the 1v.
But in time I think I will get my hands on one. :)

Littleman:

One has to keep in mind that cameras, lenses, and nearly everything else photographic are nothing more than tools in the hands of an artist.

With that said, there are, of course, some far better tools than others for certain photographic endeavors. For the type of photojournalism that you intend to do, you will need a camera/lens combination that will enable you to focus quickly and accurately; to compose and keep your subject in view at all times, i.e. no mirror black out; to allow you to shoot with the lens at or near wide open aperatures; and to do this under all types of available light conditions.

The only camera (tool) that easily meets and suprasses these requirements is the Leica rangefinder. I've been using one (a Leica M-4) for nearly forty years. Of course, if you're going to take photographs with a Leica, you should also keep in mind the necessity of either projecting or enlarging what you photograph with the same quality, i.e. look for a Leitz Valoy II or the Focomat Ic enlarger and/or the Pradovit Color 150 or 250 projectors. These older enlargers/projectors are usually available and may not cost you an arm and a leg to purchase them.

Otherwise, you'll be producing excellent quality negatives or slides through the camera only to (substantially) degrade the image when projecting or enlarging them.

Either an M-3; M-2; or an M-4, should suit your purposes very nicely. The M-3 has nearly a life sized viewfinder and has frames for the 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm lenses. If you wish to use a 35mm lens, you can either use the whole viewfinder as your frame of reference or you can make use of a 35mm Summicron with "eyes".

The M-2 has viewfinder frames for the 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm lenses and you can obtain the 135mm Elmarit F/2.8 with "eyes" for more accurate focusing needs.

The M-4 models have viewfinder frames for the 35mm, 50mm, 90mm and 135mm lenses.

However, before you decide to make a real commitment and spend your hard earned money, I would also recommend that you do some extensive "homework". It may save you some grief and some money.

For example, I have the 35mm, 50mm, & 90mm Summicrons F/2.0 lenses and I sometimes wish that I had purchased the 90mm Elmarit F/2.8 instead, only because it is a little lighter to carry around, but, more importantly, the lens head of the 90mm Elmarit will allow you to focus from infinity to nearly 1:1 with the use of the Visoflex and Bellows. Of course, I can use the 90mm Summicron lens head on this combination, but the focusing range is limited. With the "right" focusing mount on the Visoflex, I can focus from inifinity, but not down to 1:1 as easily. When I purchased the 90mm Summicron, I was more into landscape and people photography and I find myself a little more interested in nature and macro photography.

Since even good used Leica equipment can be expensive, it is very wise to do some homework and then make a judicious choice.

As for the "homework" part, here are a number of interesting links.

The first two links are to Alfred Eisenstaedt, who was a Leica user and one of the original photographers for Life magazine. His book, "The Eye of Eisenstaedt" is still an excellent read and valuable for its autobiography, its technical information - although a little outdated as to camera models and film - and, especially, to seeing better photography. This book may be available at your local public library, through their inter-library loan system or through such places as abe.com or alibris.com both excellent sources of used and new books.

Read the last paragraph in the first link and take note of his statement that it is more important to click with people than to click the shutter in the second link.

http://artscenecal.com/ArticlesFile/Archive/Articles1997/Articles0397/AEisenstaedt.html

http://www.life.com/Life/eisie/eisie.html

You also might enjoy taking a look at the work of Ernst Hass a more contempoary Leica user. Here are two links as well.

http://www.ernsthaas.com/

http://www.iipa.org/permanentcollection/haas/

Of course, there is a whole range of Leica photos to view at this link as well.

http://www.leica-gallery.net/

With all of this said, you must also remember that it is the photographer that takes the photograph, not the camera. Again, the camera is only a "tool" in the hands of an artistic and intelligent photographer. And, of course, there is also the collary statement that an excellent "tool" (camera) can produce really lousy results in the hands of a non artistic person and/or not too bright photographer or one who isn't paying attention.

For that reason, I will provide you with a link to a person, whom I consider to be an superb photographer and who uses Canon equipment to create his images. Since I grew up and lived for many, many years on the Tallgrass Prairie of Illinois and love photographing people, especially those with character, I will admit my bias for the type of photography exhibited by Mike Marcotte.

Beyond my own "bias", his photography will show you what can be done with Canon cameras and lenses. So start working on getting the best out of your camera and lenses before moving up to a Leica.

Here's the link to Mike's work.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?include=all&user_id=57948

As usual, I hope that this discussion and the links will prove to be more than helpful and useful in your photographic endeavors.

Best regards,

Bill

Most reactions

Back