Photomatix and Saving ... Printing Tiffs?

Clawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I purchased PhotoMatix yesterday after importing a series of pics to the trial version to see what kind of results I can expect. So, I imported the images, and as soon as the composite was acheived, I saved the image (as an HDR file). I did not do any tone mapping at all. Then, I opened the file in CS4 and was blown away by the results (after a bit of sharpening). When viewing it in CS4, there was no watermark and the file looked NOTHING like the image I saw on screen after the composite process.

The problem? The image was 96 megs (after converting it from an HDR to a TIFF in an effort to make it something I can work with and print), and there was no way to convert it as a JPG. I repeated the process after purchasing PhotoMatix, but this time I hit the tonemapping button, but the resulting image was far inferior to the "auto," un-tonemapped version I mentioned earlier. After I messed around with it for awhile, I achieved a result somewhat like the results I had achieved before (though still very much inferior). Obviously, I was then able to save it as a JPG.

My question then, is two-fold:

1) Was the first image so much more amazing simply because it was saved as an uncompressed TIFF? And is there any way I can convert the original image to a JPG, once I export it from Photomatix?

2) Are there professional labs that actually print from TIFF files? If so, are there size restrictions?

Any help and I am extremely grateful :thumbup:

~Canaan

Yes there was. ;)

You had to convert the image from a 16-bit to an 8-bit BEFORE saving it as a JPG while in PS. TIFFs are 16-bit... and there is no possibility to save it as a JPG until you drop it to 8-bits. Look under the IMAGE menu.

Also, unless you are printing over 30" poster sizes, there is no visual loss of quality on most down-conversions from TIFF to JPG at a good photo lab. The TIFF and JPGs will be pretty much identical at all but the very biggest of sizes.

And the print lab will really appreciate the JPEG upload, since it will take up 1/4 the disk space for essentially the same print quality. :lol:

Most reactions

Back