Photomatrix

Don't forget "qtpfsgui.exe" which is free and works. Now the disclaimer. This is my first attempt. I used a scan from film, using an old S20 HP scanner. Then I took one and lightened it and one copy with enhancement, then mixed the three together.

It has grain. It had dust and dots. It wasn't a super image to start with and I fudged the three stop range. Some day I'll make a real test. But point is the software works.

After all that, I'm kind of happy. :lmao:

Elgin Cathedral, Scotland.

elgin-ruins-1988.jpg

I can't seem to get qtpfsgui.exe to work right. I downloaded it and tried to make an HDR with 3 same location tripod mounted different exposure JPEGs(exposure bracketing of + 2 stops) and all I got was a blank white slate. Then I uninstalled it because it didn't work. I just re-installed it because you managed ot at least get a picture of some kind out of it but now it says "has an error and needs to close" every time I'm halfway through step 2/3 of the HDR process.

First time I used it, I got the error message. After that it worked. Then you save the HDR and can load an change it with different settings.

First images, as you are adjusting and testing, use the small resolution, 256 x whatever, so you can see the changes as you make them. Then when you get it "right" make a larger one. You'll see the progress on the bottom, 25-50-75-pause... and an image pops up.

Might be the computer or the space needed for the temp. image. (I'm in the dark) But once I changed the temp file to a different partition on the hard drive, it worked OK.

I have much to learn. First off, I might try doing a real three exposure picture and not a scan from film.

By the way, the image looks different on my other desktop, kind of purpleish and different on the laptop. The thing that worked was the clouds and you can see how the lights in the doorways came out. The original that I saved had more brown tones, like an ancient ruin should have.

At first it was pink and light colored and had some interesting contrasts, I corrected it to this duller version.

Oh, by the way, my computer that I used is my "good" (aka best) computer and 2 mhz with a 160 gb hard drive. I do load up on memory with older machines, it has a Gig. Maybe someone with more experience can help more with that error message?

HP S20 scanner is the older SCSI version, I set it for 2400, and the grain just tore up the picture making it look like it does. That's grain, not some artsy Elements 5 plugin. :mrgreen:

I restarted the computer and it works now but my 3 exposures apparently moved a tad on the tripod. Really ghosty.

I restarted the computer and it works now but my 3 exposures apparently moved a tad on the tripod. Really ghosty.

I had that problem when I tried a couple of times. Somewhere I have some shot on a tripod.

Easier answer is automatic exposure bracketing setting on the camera, so all one would have to do is push the button 3 or more times. Some camera will take all the picture with one button push.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/

This looked interesting and what do you know. The red bricks on one of the featured photos, turned pinkjust like mine. I thought it was something with the bad old photo.

I had that problem when I tried a couple of times. Somewhere I have some shot on a tripod.

Easier answer is automatic exposure bracketing setting on the camera, so all one would have to do is push the button 3 or more times. Some camera will take all the picture with one button push.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/

This looked interesting and what do you know. The red bricks on one of the featured photos, turned pinkjust like mine. I thought it was something with the bad old photo.
I used exposure bracketing but my tripod is an astoundingly cheap $40, then again I just learned how to lock it down properly, there is a knob that rotates that I thought was just a handle.

Some camera will take all the picture with one button push.

Ya, I just found out about HDR through Woodsac's post and instantly tried it out. I'm so happy that my D80 shoots all three in a burst. I just might be able to do it without a tripod - but doubt it.

Most reactions

Back