Photorgraphy Permission

mrboontastic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all

I am wanting to go to my local skate park and take some shots of skateboarding. Do you think I will need permission of the Skatepark management (its an indoor one that only opens at certain times), or should I just walk straight in and start shooting.

If I do ask permission what is the best way to go about it? Do I say Im a student (which im not), or do I just say im an ameture photographer? Do I blag it???

What would you advise. Thanks in advance.:)

Ask for permission.

Once I was photographing an old abandoned (at least it looked like abandoned) factory, but soon an ugly guy appeared and wanted to take my camera away, because he tougth I am a kind of industrial spy, so I run away (the simpliest soluton, when you are in form :lmao: and you don't want to try explain anything).

Not all the peaple are flexible and friendly.

Cheers Cumi

Dont want to get my camera taken from me. What do you think I should do about posing as a student or something??

Just tell them the truth. The worst thing they can do is to tell you no. Explain to them that you are an amature photographer and would be interested in taking some pictures in their establishment. They may ask if they can see the pictures when you're done and could even purchase some. Either way, it shouldn't be that bad. If you lie to them, that could turn into a different story...

Skate parks are pretty unlikely to object to photography, but it's best to have a cover story and speak to the management first. Not many people would have the heart to turn down a student doing a photography project on "movement", so I'd say do that.

Rob

Cheers Guys

Rob I like the movement cover story. Ill give it a try.

Let you all kno whow I get on.:) :D :D

HoboSyke said:
Id be asking the skaters 1st.

yeah, they are the ones that have to watch out and not hit you, best to get acquainted with them first, nobody wants to have to pay money for injuries or broken equipment because you or the skater were not ready or were nervous and thus made a mistake

The only people who can take your camera if you are on public property are law-enforcement officials and even they may have to obtain a warrant before doing so. They can however detain you and your camera until such time as they gain a warrant for seizure of it. Private property is an entirely different set of rules.

On public property you can take pictures without much hassle. The only public places you need to watch out are those being sensitive in nature ( post 9/11 phenomenon) If there are people involved and you are taking a closeup, it is desirable to ask permission. A medium to long shot of public skating ring poses no issue unless it is privately owned.

Ive done this exact thing(but with bmx, not skateboards) and heres what ive learned:
Most skateparks wont care, but some may make you sign a waiver(incase someone plows into you or you fall off a quarter pipe or something. but 9 times out of 10 they really wont care either way. but definately ask the people, some people seriously do not like being photographed when skating/riding, it adds alot of pressure, and some people just dont like it. but then there will be others who will love you and ask for copies of pictures and so on. good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back