Photos: 3 Very Different Views Of Japanese Internment

There was a guy on Star Trek that was in one of those camps, Zulu?. Anyway, I heard him talk about it on XM radio and he was real vocal about the whole thing and offered an interesting perspective in that he was a child while in there.

Sulu (Star Trek) - George Takei

Embarrassing relativistic twaddle. Totally lame apologia for a brutal example of racial profiling.
Sorry, could you give me that in English?

Try a dictionary...
I understand the words; I am unclear on the meaning you're trying to impart.
He is commenting on events of 70 years ago using current sentiment. Too bad he wasn't born 90 years ago.
Kind of figured that.

I've only just come across this thread, but I think it fair to point out that Dorothea Lange visited the camp just after it was created and Ansel Adams visited it a couple of years later. A lot of the differences in conditions are due to improvements the Japanese themselves made and cannot really be fully attributed to the photographers' different styles. Also Ansel Adams made it clear what he thought of the camps, and his reverence for Dorothea's images, in his book "Examples".

What did he think?

Being old enough to have friends with family that survived German "Camps" and friends that had family in the American camps my thoughts are simply this...can you tell which one is in Europe and which one is in the USA?

barracks.jpg

60_01.gif

While the photographs may have some historical value they serve to show that at the least they were totally misguided and in one case the most criminally evil. They were in both cases prisons for the undeserving who were left unprotected by the very societies that should have protected them.

This is my favourite.

Yeah, this is an old thread ... but I just happen to be scanning some family photos ... and remembered this discussion.
Thought I would add some more personal input.

Lemon Creek internment camp in BC Canada - 1944

My great grandmother is in the middle, her daughters, their husbands, and their children ... one of which is my mother.
GGM is naturalized Canadian, her daughters were born in Canada. Their husbands came to Canada around 1920.
My great grandfather (who is not in this picture) came to Canada in 1899.

LemonCreek1.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly, I have not yet asked anyone about this time of their lives ... so a lot of that knowledge is lost.

LemonCreek2.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back