Photos are blurry....

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by deepind, Oct 9, 2017.

1. photo1x1.com

photo1x1.com TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Even on a sunny day you should get way underexposed images with your settings. There must be something wrong there. We could best help you solve this if we had a full resolution image with all the exif data. Any chance you upload that somewhere into the internet? Maybe Dropbox with a public folder, etc.?

2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Personally, I never shoot a common zoom at anything higher than f/8 due to diffraction. You can test this up against a brick wall, with the camera on a tripod and set in manual mode, focus point should be single, dead center. Start at your most commonly used focal length, doesn't really matter but for me at that range, I'd be at 100mm. Turn off stabilization. Expose image properly by getting the exposure to zero at all f/stops, choose your metering mode but make sure they're the same for all f/stops. Start at f/5.6, then f/8. then f/11, then f/16, then f/22. Compare the 5 images at a 100% crop, look at center and corners. You will more than likely see that f/8 will be the most desirable image in terms of sharpness, micro contrast, corner sharpness, and vignetting or light fall off around corners. You could test a few different focal lengths and make a chart so you know what to expect. Doesn't hurt to compare one with stabilization turned on so you it's effect as as well. Typically the short end and the long end will show higher degrees of diffraction. I have done this on all of my lenses but I am kind of weird like that, I would have tics if I didn't know my hardware limitations and strengths.

Lastly, image sharpness is not the end of it all, but for the scenes you posted, probably a good idea to find the sweet spot. In terms of portraits, you should be sure the focus point is on the eye, and consider for depth of field. If you shoot a head shot at 85mm, you will want to isolate the subject the best you can, test for this with an object of some sort. Many people, including myself, can get hung up on image sharpness but I have learned it's only a small part of lens quality, and image rendering.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. deepind

deepind TPF Noob!

most of the images i took are grainy.what will be the reason? may be focusing or camera problem?

4. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you see "grain" at ISO 100, you're just pixel peeping. All digital sensors have noise when inspected close up.

5. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Again, I believe what your seeing is diffraction. Small apertures are not always going to give you optimal results. Find that sweet spot on your lens for these types of photos (op). Additionally, if your shooting at f/13 and 2000s, and your vr is on, you are making matters worse. Turn off VR when your shutter speed is double your focal length. Shoot in Aperture priority mode, select f/8, turn vr off, select focus point, confirm, compose, shoot. I helped a girl at the office with that same lens and camera, she was amazed, of course, she was shooting in some weird shooting mode, had all her settings messed up. We started over by resetting her camera, and I gave her the 10 min lesson. She is now making better images. Second lesson was shutter priority mode, third was manual mode, forth was AE lock with back light and fill flash. She is pretty stoked about photography now. She was ready to buy a new camera. Not so much now. Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. photo1x1.com

photo1x1.com TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For me that again sounds like too high ISO.
    Sorry, but I´m still not convinced you are at ISO 100, if your camera tells you that, there must be something wrong. With your settings you wouldn´t get well exposed images - they should be way underexposed.
    If you can´t upload a full image, maybe you can give us just a small crop of the image that shows the grain in full size. But try to include the metadata. That would help a lot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. deepind

deepind TPF Noob!

Attached Files:

• ii.jpg
      ii.jpg
      File size:
      825.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Tomasko

Photos OK to edit
    That's not grainy, that's overexposed and out of focus...

9. deepind

deepind TPF Noob!

how to avoid over exposure? and how to focus the whole area like this?

10. Tomasko

Photos OK to edit
    When it comes to exposure, you need to understand that digital sensors have a limited dynamic range they can capture. If the scene is outside your dynamic range, some areas will be either too dark or too bright. There's really not much you can do about it except of choosing your scenes wisely. Try to avoid higher contrast scenes if possible. If you can't do that, think about what are you trying to capture and choose how you meter your scene, so your subject is properly exposed. You can also look at your camera's histogram to know if you're having any overexposed/underexposed parts. Some cameras have a feature to warn you about this too, but your entry-level nikon is not one of them I'm afraid.

If you want your whole picture to be sharp, use hyperfocal distance :) In some situations it can make a huge difference. There are topics here about getting sharp landscape images with great answers, so maybe search for them too to get a better idea how to achieve this.

11. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    the EXIF for this photo is ...

Camera: Nikon D3200
    Lens: AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
    Shot at 18 mm
    Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/2,000 sec, f/13, ISO 11404, Compensation: +1/3
    Flash: none
    Focus: AF-S, at 5.6m, with a depth of field from about 1.0m to infinity
    AF Area Mode: Contrast-detect (subject tracking)
    Date: October 7, 2017 3:43:28AM (timezone not specified)
    (3 days, 14 hours, 15 minutes, 15 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of 5½ hours ahead of GMT)

Look at your ISO ... 11,404
    Not exactly 100

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I suspect that 'auto ISO' is engaged. Even if it is SET to 100, the camera will automatically increase it to what is needed for a proper exposure when the shutter speed is pushed up and the aperture is closed down.