Photos for my job?

I don't see how you get your regular pay at the same time as your moonlight pay. If I was your boss, you would be on vacation leave the day you take the photos. Paid, yes, but taking it out of your vacation time.

Alternatively; you're on the clock, receiving your regular pay, just taking photos that day. No extra pay for that day.

I've done photos for my work, as part of my job. I'm doing it on company time, not outside of my normal hours. I'm normally a graphic designer, but i'm still part of the creative team, so to me, it's not really a big deal. I actually consider it a 'fun change of pace' from what I normally do, so I don't have any issue with it. I also use my own equipment and don't 'require' the company to buy it for me. This is something that only happens a few times per year, for me to bring my gear in for a day is not a hassle at all, and let's be honest, the few pics you're going to be taking on this project really isn't going to cause much 'wear and tear', plus, for me, i'm comfortable with my own stuff already.

Bottom line is, I like my job, my boss, and the company I work for. They are good to me, and I don't mind helping them out without trying to get something out of it on the side. I sometimes go out for drinks and things with my boss off hours, to show the kind of relationship we have, so maybe my work is different than most.

Last edited:
I've done stuff for work before, (not necessarily photography, but still...) using my own equipment, but I was doing it on their time, and therefore I considered it as part of my pay. I was getting my regular pay, but I was just doing something different. I work in retail, and I considered it no different than being asked to go on the tills or down to the warehouse to pull stock for the day (as I often am asked to do!) instead of working in the office.

Seems like it depends on if it's part of your job, and they provide the equipment (and no, it's probably not going with you when you leave! lol and I don't know that you could determine what they'd do with it after you leave, that'll be up to them). Or it's contracted if done on your time with your equipment.

But I guess it depends how involved or time consuming this gets, maybe using your camera on work time if they provide the media card? but then, what about usage? copyright? licensing? Would this be work for hire if it's on work time? All that fun stuff needs to be figured out.

I've worked at firms that have specified that any creative effort/results become the intellectual property of the company. Regardless of what time of day I did the creating. Or what day. Sometimes even for years afterward.

They own it, not me. They might pay me more than my regular pay, or they may choose not to. But they own the rights to it. This is something that I signed upon taking employment with the company. I was free to sign the agreement or not take the job.

If my job description said: "And related duties unspecified" then anything they ask me to do was part of my job, which I was expected to do while being paid my regular pay.

I bet you're wishing you'd kept your mouth shut and let them pay for that other photographer to do the work...

^ Yep, because now his boss is most likely thinking "wow, this guy asked for more money on top of what he is getting paid".

Even though the boss is conveniently forgetting about equipment use and editing time. Unless the OP will be editing all the photos on the companies time.

At this point I want to see some of the finished photos.

Last edited:
At least now it sounds like you can spend some time taking pictures at work.

^ Yes.

Haha, I told them I'd do any photography they want. The way I see it, I get to have fun at working doing the thing I love.

I'm using my own camera, but any equipment I don't have that I need for a specific job, they will buy.

This is a slippery slope and only you can make the decision. I've seen it turn out bad and I've seen it turn out worse. You would need to articulate just what you would do and what the limits are and they need to really know exactly what they want. You might find yourself dealing with mr. middle management and learn mr. big management hates the way they were done. You need to determine exactly who you are working and what he wants and what his expectations are. I did some work for a non-profit once and the woman was very nice. But her husband really ruled the roost and he'd put the kabash on just about everything I wanted to do. In the end I bailed out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back