Photos in a gymnasium

SassyFrass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

Need a little help with an upcoming project. I am going to be photographing basketball teams inside gyms and am needing to know what film, etc. to use. I currently shoot a Canon EOS Elan. Thanks in advance for any help!!

I would use a fast film 400 and up (if you shoot b&w you can easily push t-max films to iso 3200).

I would suggest a flash (not a small flash, something with a guide number of a 100 or greater to make sure the flash would carry and not drop off).

I would use a very fast lens if you want to use the avaliable light like an f2 or f1.7.

I probably shouldn't be sticking my nose in here (I'm an extreme photography beginner), but isn't there a type of color film that is specifically balanced for florescent light? --- NO - wait - I think it is for normal room lights, but what I was remembering about florescent light is that there is a filter that can be used - right?

Sorry if I'm way off. I have been reading book after book on photography and a lot of this stuff is not totally clear to me.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

There is tungsten balanced film. Since normal tunsgten lighting is too orange on daylight balanced film. You can get filters to correct tungsten or fluorescent lighting. But then you lose the speed of your film. Or you can shoot with black and white and not worry about the color of the lighting.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was thinking of tungsten balanced film instead of flourescent too. I will probably just use 400 since these will just be team "mug shots" and no action.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back