Photos in school auditorium

Photowolf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking some pictures of my son and his class mates at his high school musical rehersals. I just picked up some Kodak T-Max P3200 film. I have never used this film before and I have never taken pic's in this situation. I'm a little reluctant to use my flash because I don't want to mess up any of the kids while they dance and sing. Finally my question: Can I use this film without the flash in the auditorium and still get good pictures without a tripod? I believe there will be just stage lighting and spot lights. I have a Canon Rebel EOS. My ultimate plan is to enlarge some of these prints (in my new darkroom) and put them on display for the parents to see on the nights of the musical. Thanks in advance for any input.

Kirk Wolf

I'm sure the lights on the stage will be enough to properly expose 3200 film. You may want to take a tripod or monopod for added support in case you need it. If you have access to an incident light meter, before they start rehearsing, go up on stage and measure the light falling on the subject. With print film a slightly off exposure is fine. So you can meter from a few different areas and find a good middle ground. Then just set your camera to the right shutterspped/f-stop combo and fire away.

me personally, i would shoot a roll to see what it looks like and its flexability or go with something i already know (have used before) ... sounds like its to important to test your "new" roll of film on premesis

Most reactions

Back