Photos of my car with my new Nikon D60

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by froubaby, Jan 28, 2009.

1. froubaby

froubaby TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took these last weekend of my car and have posted them on my car club forums, but I'm hoping to get some comments back from some actual photographers and not just car buffs.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Liz

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. cosmoepic

cosmoepic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    only post 3 or 4 for critique and please number each photo

that being said 3rd from the bottom looks pretty good, im not a huge fan of car shots but i like that one

3. froubaby

froubaby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! I've edited.

As for the pic you like, that is now pic #4 above. Thanks for the compliment on the shot.

4. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What you've got is pretty nice in some ways but you need to work on lighting to make these images really stand out, either finding good light or making it with strobes or flashes or something.

5. Curiosity Cosby

Curiosity Cosby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not sure why, #3 looks like it lacks in lead room for the car. Really like #4. #1 & #2 don't do a whole lot for me, but still nice pictures. Maybe show at least half the car in #2, depending on what you were going for. Overall, I like the pictures.

6. TheUndisputed

TheUndisputed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tips for shooting automotives and improving your images:

1. ALWAYS shoot with the sun to your back. The Sun is a VERY useful tool for you when shooting an automobile. It makes wonderful effects on the paint, and a mild reflection will make the car look cleaner than it actually is.

2. ALWAYS shoot an automobile in the morning or the evening. looks like you did this shoot in the evening, just a little too late in the evening it looks like. Start shooting when you are about 2 or 3 hours away from sunset, not 1.

3. Make sure the focal point is on the car, and not on anything else. After all, it is the car you are intending the shoot, not everything else. Also, make sure the objects you are using as a background subject are not taking away from the vehicle. That train has got my attention, not the car.

4. Try angles that you think will make the shoot different. There are angles you can use right on the vehicle, that will emphasize the natural curves of the vehicle. Take this image I took about 3 weeks ago for example:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the fuzziness, Image is uploaded to MySpace, which doesn't have the best resizing module. However, notice how the angle of the car makes it more aggressive? You should aim for the same principle in your shots. BTW, this is not a shoot. I was walking the dogs that night, saw the car, and snapped a picture of it. It's actually parallel parked by the guy's apartment building.

I am an automotive buff and a photographer, & I have to say, that is one CLEAN MKIII. Is that a 7M or 1JZ car?

7. MiaS13

MiaS13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    damn liz your on here too. sweet. nice pics

8. DavidElliot

DavidElliot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i agree with undisputed and tsaraleksi, having the right lighting and angle can really help make the car stand out and pop. for me, #4 seems to be leaning to the left. might be because of that traffic line not being even

9. Lynnzora

Lynnzora TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What kind of lens did you use for these shots? They are nice. I like the 1st shot.

10. christm

christm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the last one, could you increase the depth of field on the others ? The backgrounds seems distracting.

11. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Those are great in my opinion, I'm not too picky about lighting and such, number 4 is awesome, 3 would have been my favorite if the car was facing the camera.
    Keep up the good work!

12. froubaby

froubaby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone for the compliments and for the feedback regarding positioning, lighting, etc. The one thing I did not do to any of these photos were any touching up in Photoshop. I wanted to get feedback on the raw images first.

TheUndisputed... You're correct in that I took these a little too late in the evening as the sun was already going down which made it quite difficult to get some shots that I really wanted. This weekend I plan to take my other car out to some other areas, but do it in the early morning hours so I will be able to see a difference. Thanks for all of your other tips as well. And right now the car has the 7m, but will get a 1j as soon as the 7m blows (knockin' pretty bad).

Emil... Yes! I just joined here last night and saw your thread. :)