Photos off-centre

Keta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ketadesign.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I asked for some critique on here a couple of weeks ago and got a useful comment that my shots were perhaps "too centered" (ie: vaguely boring). We had some clear weather last weekend so I had a chance to try my new learning.
Now, I can't really do TOO much about it, what with a fast-moving subject and no control at all over conditions . . . but thought this might be a valiant effort.

More comments/suggestions/ideas/tips?

winterlight.jpg

Thanks again all!

I'm afraid this should me in Gallery...but
I do like this photo... it is very interesting and I like the somposition... and here is another plus... that the earle is not in the centre of the picture! :D

Well firsty, I think this should be in the critique gallery.

The ship looks like a bad quality photography, yet the bird looks really cool! Almost as if it has been photoshopped in there.. Might just be my monitor :p

The composition of the photograph is ok, I think. I personally would prefer the photo if the ship wasn't even there, and it was just the bird close up, slightly to the right, so that it's not in center..

Have you learnt the rule of thirds? http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/compose_expose/thirds.html I found that site really useful whilst learning things..

As for the photo how it is, I think it's too blue.

By the way, I am a n00b.. I only post this to try and learn, if it helped you then great.. If it doesn't and I was wrong, sorry..

If anyone has any opinions on my post please tell me!! :D

I think you should have really posted this in the gallery or maybe even the critique section since you are asking for help/advice in one specific area.

You have the right idea placing the bird off center which makes the shot more dynamic and interesting. Unfortunately you have also placed the "horizon" between the water ans land almost bang on the center line. It would probably look better cropped just above the darker treeline and back to a landscape format.

You could look into the "Rule of Thirds" but don't be afraid of breaking it every now and again!:thumbup:

oh whups! sorry, I thought this was a 'photography Q & A' question! Maybe a mod will move it. Next time I will post there.

Interesting reactions to the ship in background, goes to show everyone has a different opinion. I like it because of the contrast; large stationary hulking object vs. small fast moving lightweight object. Not to mention the juxtaposition of man/machine vs. nature, which is basically the theme I am going for with all my shots.

I will DEFINITELY check out the 'rule of third' link . . thanks for that! it's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip on the cropping, PlasticSpanner, that's what I also need to know.
Lots and lots to learn still!

PS: I don't fool with my scans, just cropping and sizing. That's the blue of mid-winter daylight around here if the sun is out; I plan to keep it like that to contrast my summer shots.

Remember, if you post in the critique section, you should have just one specific question you would like advice on and include as much information about the shot and equipment used/settings as you can. This will ensure that people will have all the relevant information with which to base a reply on.

I'm sure someone will move it to the critique gallery for you soon.

The ship is a little distracting from your subject and is a little over exposed but it does give a good perception of distance to the shot too!

Keta said:
PS: I don't fool with my scans, just cropping and sizing. That's the blue of mid-winter daylight around here if the sun is out; I plan to keep it like that to contrast my summer shots.

Don't worry too much about editing. It's important and good practice to get the shot right in the camera, but a lot of post processing used to be done in the darkroom anyway like contrast, cropping and colour saturation. You'll also find that the scanned image on your screen isn't quite like the print in your hand and a little editing will get it back to how it should look.:thumbup:

Hmm, so much to know.

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I leave my camera on a setting one step off fully automatic; there is basically no way I would have time to fiddle with aperture and such when the thing is whizzing past me.

It seems to work okay. Is that kind of cheating?

1.jpg

PlasticSpanner said:
You'll also find that the scanned image on your screen isn't quite like the print in your hand and a little editing will get it back to how it should look.:thumbup:

Yes my thoughts exactly! When I do something commercial with it then that will have to happen.

You are so helpful dude! :hug::

*leaves a warm cinnamon bun beside your keyboard*

I would suggest learning to use manual modes for shots like this. preset modes rarely produce as good a result as a manual mode. If I do use a manual mode I always want to change on thing like white balance or shutter speed but I cant I would say put it in your preset mode see the settings and then use those settings in a manual mode and tweak them until you get the desired result. Honestly the pic of the ship and bird doesn;t do it fo me. The large out of focus ship and trees really take precedent in the photo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back