Photos, printing and cropping.......

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Crimsonandwhite, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Crimsonandwhite

Crimsonandwhite TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I use Smugmug for my printing purposes and it seems like every photo I want to print has to be cropped no matter what size I choose unless I get a monster (30x20)

What can I do to avoid this in the future? I will certainly want 5x7, 8x10, and such popular sizes as that. I know this will frustrate customers, if I were to ever get any :p.....

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Consider that when composing your picture. Once you've got the composition you want, move back a little/zoom out a little from the subject to allow you the room to crop. It's all based on the X-Y ration of whatever sensor you're using, so there's really no getting away from it.

3. Crimsonandwhite

Crimsonandwhite TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So when I move up to the a700 and its better crop factor with the sensor it should help this situation. It won't solve it apprarently but it should help, correct?

I will also keep that in mind when shooting that I need to zoom out just a bit to fit it all in....

4. Nasir

Nasir TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have smugmug too and you dont HAVE to crop the images. You can simply choose not to crop and the print will have white borders where appropriate.

For example, if you have a 6X10 and print a 8X10, the picture will fill the top and bottom edges, but will leave a one inch border on either side (that you can cut yourself)