photos to video?

obscure.individual

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm wondering: is it possible to take a group of photos and turn them into an animation, or a video of sorts? because i took 9 long exposure images of Hurricane Sandy in my backyard of the exact same tree one after another, and after cropping them to line up and looking through the images like a flipbook, i realized that it would make for a really cool video. so can anyone point me in the right direction for this? i don't want to make a .gif, i want to make it look like an actual video, in which you can actually see the clouds move without there being breaks between the frames.

No just a slide show

No just a slide show

are you absolutely sure? i know i tried to learn flash animation years ago and i made an animation of a ball bouncing just from 3 computer drawings. could that be applied to what i want to do somehow?

What's the typical frame rate of actual video...15-30 frames per second or something like that? So with nine images, your video would be about 0.3-0.6 seconds long.

I'm guessing that what you are trying to do is 'Time Lapse'...but for that, you need to compile dozens or hundreds of still photos.

What's the typical frame rate of actual video...15-30 frames per second or something like that? So with nine images, your video would be about 0.3-0.6 seconds long.

I'm guessing that what you are trying to do is 'Time Lapse'...but for that, you need to compile dozens or hundreds of still photos.

ah, darn. so there's no way to use the photos i have to "produce" the images that would go between what i already have?

thanks for the link, it'll be useful for next time.

Now, if you were to do a "Ken Burns Effect"....maybe yuo could stretch those nine pics out and narrate a 45- to 60-second segment...

There is no way to create inbetween frames. An alternative would be to have the 9 photos appear for about 2 seconds each with a cross dissolve of say 15 frames each. You could stretch it to 3 seconds for each image. But the total video would only be 18 seconds or 27 seconds. What NLE are you using? If it has nested sequences or precomps then set up your photos and dissolves in on sequence and nest that in another to apply a Ken Burns type pan & zoom. Depending on how big your photo space around the tree would depend on how much room you have to pan & zoom. Just guessing you wouldn't want to scale more than 20%. And 20% scale over the total 18 seconds or 27 seconds would be very, very slow. I was trying to think how this could be animated in After Effects, but with 9 photos you would still have the same issues.

What's the typical frame rate of actual video...15-30 frames per second or something like that?

29.97 fps is standard for most formats
24fps are what most hollywood movies are shot at
15-14fps is the bottom end of the frame rate that the human eye consdiers motion. Anything below that ends up choppy

I shoot tons of times lapse and yes I end up with 1,000-10,000 photos on average. I end up running them thru Adobe Premiere to convert them to video. I normally have each photo represent a single frame of video and run at 29.97fps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back