photoshoot for my cousin C&C welcomed

bigboi3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
2 shots from my photoshoot of my cousin( I still have to PP the rest of them)... he wanted some shots for his portfolio, and I got to practice my potrait/people shots.. I think I did pretty good for my first time out.

exif - f/4.5, iso 100, shutter 1/200

I also would like criticism on composition and lighting. I did use flash from my sunpak speedlight for fill, but I'm not sure if it was done correctly. Thanks for looking!!

*EDIT* I am showing the pictures which I have edited and has him doing more natural poses. I would like to get more feedback with these as well. Thanks.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:
I dont care much for the composition, he's smack dab in the center and shot from straight on so theres nothing going on for composition. The exposure is fine, but the lighting from the sun is pretty harsh...not much you can do about that except hunt for some shade. Also, what is that pose he's doing? It's not very flattering and totally unnatural.

I like the scene, and given the lighting situation (bright sun from off to the side and behind a bit), I'm very surprised to say that I find the lighting pretty complimentary. I like the second shot lighting-wise better.

I think his pose somewhat gets you stuck with the composition and the squared-off crop that you have. I don't think either is exactly ideal, but it's not bad. You could certainly crop a bit more to get him a bit off-center and that would help a bit, but I might want to re-shoot in the same place with some other poses. He looks like a tough guy, so maybe leaning back but at an angle a bit with arms crossed or something.

Still, overall, really not bad!

thanks for the comments and critiques bdavis and manaheim. I see now that his pose isn't the most natural. I still have 100 other shots to go through and edit. I'll certainly fix the cropping to help with it being more off center. Albeit this is my first ever "model" shoot.. overall I think I did an alright job... just gotta work on some cropping and better lighting.

Typically its not the best to shoot in direct sun unless you have something to diffuse it or a flash to overpower it. In this case, shooting in the shade with a bit of fill flash can give you nice results.

Typically its not the best to shoot in direct sun unless you have something to diffuse it or a flash to overpower it. In this case, shooting in the shade with a bit of fill flash can give you nice results.

Thanks for the tips. I may go back and do another shoot at that location but wait till the sun goes down a bit more.

updated OP for more C&C on some photos I finished post on.

Interesting. The first one looks like a border-line model shot.

Did you intend for the colors to be so muted?

I think the first and second look good. The two with him in full frame are kind of awkward poses and he looks way bowlegged. The last looks good too. Nice work!

The last three look like he's in a very uncomfortable and unnatural pose. 3 specifically, his foot is turned in, and it makes his legs look funny. I actually like the first two, however.

I like the new ones you posted a lot more than the first set - good job!

First one is great. I like the feeling of movement, the natural position of his hands, the neutral face....great composition.

The second one is nice as well, but his face is still a bit dark for my liking. I do like his pose- he's not a half bad model!

Too lazy to CC the rest, but the first two are my favorites anyway.

Interesting. The first one looks like a border-line model shot.

Did you intend for the colors to be so muted?

thanks for the C&C.. I did intend the colors to be in that manner. The grass was very green and to me would have been distracting.

I think the first and second look good. The two with him in full frame are kind of awkward poses and he looks way bowlegged. The last looks good too. Nice work!

thanks for the C&C. With his legs being bowlegged, would me cropping above the legs help the shot? I did this with the 4th and 5th shot as they are the same photo.

The last three look like he's in a very uncomfortable and unnatural pose. 3 specifically, his foot is turned in, and it makes his legs look funny. I actually like the first two, however.

thanks for the C&C. Yeah, so those 3 are still awkward poses. Well looks like I need to watch out for those kinds of things.

I like the new ones you posted a lot more than the first set - good job!

First one is great. I like the feeling of movement, the natural position of his hands, the neutral face....great composition.

The second one is nice as well, but his face is still a bit dark for my liking. I do like his pose- he's not a half bad model!

Too lazy to CC the rest, but the first two are my favorites anyway.

Thanks for the C&C. Yes, my cousin wants to be a model and he really isn't half bad :lol:, and I want to continue to grow in my photography. So we kind of helped each other out here. :D

Most reactions

Back