Photoshoot Pricing?

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I'm very new to the photo forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place... lol
I have started photography about 2 years ago, and lately i've been asked to take senior photos for people. I usually don't charge for my friends, but I eventually want to do this for a living and I don't want to have that reputation. At the same time though, I am not sure what an appropriate charge would be. The last shoot I did took me about two days (12 hrs) and about a week to go through/process/edit the 800 photos. I only charged $100 for the shoot and about $50 for prints/materials/props... Obviously I am an amateur but what would you suggest I charge in the future as I progress? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ps: I use a Nikon D3000 and lightroom 5

Here are some from my previous shoots.View attachment 76646 $DSC_0456.jpg$DSC_0772.jpg$DSC_0621.jpg$DSC_0727.jpg$DSC_0714.jpg$DSC_1357-3.jpg$DSC_0689.jpg$DSC_1539.jpg$DSC_1400.jpg$DSC_1147.jpg

Well for the future, I would suggest not taking 800 pictures hahaha.

I would say charge $250. Just for your time and cd, and if you want to give them a free 8x10 or something go ahead. And then charge per print.

Haha i don't know exactly how many but I was exaggerating. I took about 4 or 5 at a time.

I always take more than one photo for a 'pose', just in case I get a blink or whatever.

Amateurs don't charge anything.

If you charge you are no longer an amateur. Charge what the traffic will bear, but raising prices later involves several very difficult and expensive to over come marketing problems if you have hope of expanding your business.
Photography Business Secrets: The Savvy Photographer's Guide to Sales, Marketing, and More

The state of Georgia expects you to register with them and to collect and forward to them any sales taxes they are due. https://etax.dor.ga.gov/salestax/st3forms/st3_indx.aspx
The town you live in likely has a requirement that you register as a business and show proof that you have the minimum required amount of business liability insurance.

Home owner insurance policies usually do not cover claims (injury or photo equipment damage/loss) that result from conducting an undeclared business. Consult with your local City Clerk on local business registration/insurance requirements.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want to make a viable business out of this, you really should sit down and write out a business plan. Figure out all of your expenses, including things like your gear, computer, office/home, vehicle & gas, advertising, licensing and insurance etc.

Figure out how much time you put in and how much you want/need to pay yourself. This should start to put you into the ball park of where you will want to have your prices.

Also, you can/should check out what other photographers in your area are charging. Don't let inexperience dictate your pricing. If you are good, you should charge a good rate for your services.

If you are good, you should charge a good rate for your services.

And it looks like the OP is better than a lot of those I see out there working on a regular basis.

To the OP, do you mind my asking how old you are?

You are definitely much better than a lot of other starting photographers,
You should start with a Facebook page, website second and make sure you charge the same as your competitors for a start (the ones in your league or slightly lower).
I wouldn't worry about they way you take photos (exceptional) but would start trying to define a style of editing.
Good luck, Im sure you will do well

Thanks so much, that really means alot! I am always worried about doing jobs for people, because I never know if the photos come out well enough to charge them...

Any suggestions for a free website? (coming from a cheapie) haha

Thanks so much, that really means alot! I am always worried about doing jobs for people, because I never know if the photos come out well enough to charge them...
From someone who's been working as a professional photographer & charging for 4 years, I think you are at the stage of charging definitely.
Of course with EVERYONE there is room for improvement, but you have a nack for it. Just make some small "packages" for a start and then get going, Pm if you have any questions about packages etc

Most reactions

Back