Photoshoot Pricing?

Yes this is where I have no idea what to do... I don't know what other people charge, what would you charge for what I did?

Yes this is where I have no idea what to do... I don't know what other people charge, what would you charge for what I did?
I would charge, for a start, $85 for 12 images on a disk with printing rights.
and make packages that have more pictures, and prints that cost more further on from that.
However, I don't live in your country and don't know price differences etc
But assuming you live in America, I would still charge that price.
Some may say nooooo don't do that, charge $300+ but really- If you want work, and you want bookings and you want to get a name for yourself for a start, thats exactly what I would charge. And also, as I said it give you time to get a very good idea on what styles you like (and other possibilities for revenue like pet photography or boudoir- when you get older)

Ok so $85 for every 12? because I will probably have around 60 finished prints.

Ok so $85 for every 12? because I will probably have around 60 finished prints.
If you are happy to offer more. Go ahead, its your time afterall. And its certainly not a bad idea :) But don't add photos for the hell of it, only include your best. So 10 extra images is great, but not if all 10 look the same. Do you understand what I mean?

Yeah I gotcha. I just let her pick which ones she wanted... It was kinda a favor type job ya know? and she wants pretty much one of each in B&W

Yeah I gotcha. I just let her pick which ones she wanted... It was kinda a favor type job ya know? and she wants pretty much one of each in B&W
Since b/w (and not the post processed kind, just simple b/w) is fairly easy and takes minimal time I almost always offer a b/w copy of each image surplus to what amount has been paid for (plus it makes them feel like they have something for free)
So that's a great start.
Next time though, I wouldn't let the client pick. It is your work and reputation, what if they pick one that isn't actually very good (but they like it) if they show people and tell them you took it, it could represent you badly :)
Friends-wise thats okay but don't let clients pick. x

Yeah exactly my thoughts. I definitely will not make all the exceptions i did for her in the future haha

Yeah exactly my thoughts. I definitely will not make all the exceptions i did for her in the future haha
Good on you, and good luck for the future. You will be fine. Confidence is the key- If you believe your work is good other will. If you are unsure and ask alot then others with question it too :)
Best wishes! x

Wow.

I hate you.

Now that we've got those pleasantries out of the way, I would echo the "Good on you" remark. You're far ahead of many olde... um, "more seasoned" photographers in terms of what you're producing. Your work is very nice.

As to what to charge, well, that'll be determined, at least in part, by what the market in your area will support. If every other photographer would charge $250.00 for a senior portrait session, you don't want to come in at $400.00. Suffice it to say, your afternoons will be free. Price yourself competitively. Don't be the most expensive, but stay away from being the least expensive, as well.

As for a website, I used Wix.com initially, but that was back in the day when they supported only flash. They support HTML now, but I've no experience with that with them. My current site was built with Weebly.com (which I learned about here), and I'm very happy with it. It's easy to use for the initial site build, and it's a piece of cake to update.

Which reminds me, I need to do that.

Seriously, though, 16? You could have a solid future ahead of you if you play it right...

Thanks so much, that really means alot! I am always worried about doing jobs for people, because I never know if the photos come out well enough to charge them...

Don't let that stop you.

If a client is dissatisfied with the results, fix it; work with them. Give them a discount or offer a reshoot; whatever. Do what you need to do to get the client to a point where they would recommend you. Don't let yourself build a reputation of being the guy who's difficult to work with...

I think 250 is a good price for now. I don't think the quality is quite there to charge full rates. But you certainly should be compensated for your time.

Blogger is a good free, easy to use site. Lots of photographers use it.

You are off to a great start here! I'm sure if you stick around and post for critique often you will be doing very well for yourself by the time high school ends [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to add that you should be able to produce consistent results before charging. Which I assume you can, based on what I see. (Focused,exposed well etc). Having a website with your work clues in clients on what they can expect. Quality wise. Having a nice sized portfolio before you start charging is a must IMO.

Wait a minute, back up the bus! I think you'll need to check into what applies because being under 18 I don't know if you can be in business independently or not. And if you're handling other people's money that seem like it might be putting you into business. In my state it depends on how much money is made whether or not taxes have to be paid etc.

I would suggest you go back and read what Keith posted and get with your parents and start checking into what applies in your state.

You took some nice portraits but I think you need to be aware of how you're framing shots (so you don't cut off lettering or crop too tight), think about your backgrounds that show in the frame (posts in the background etc.), check and comb/arrange the hair when the subject changes poses, and make sure you're getting a proper exposure (some look off to me).

Pricing might vary where you live, you might need to see what the price range is in your area. If possible I'd consider getting suggestions and advice from a professional photographer in your area, being a student you might find someone willing to let you observe some of their sessions.

There are resources on sites like American Society of Media Photographers but those are geared to adults over 18 who can own their own business. You may need to have your parents sign contracts, etc. because I think those are considered legal documents. If you just wanted to take some friends' pictures with no payment you might be fine doing that with your parents' permission, but anything beyond that could put your parents into a position of being legally responsible, they'll need to be involved in doing this with you.

Babysitting vs taking photos. I would be far more concerned liability wise with babysitting yet no one would bat an eye over charging for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back