Photoshoots...JPEG or RAW ?

I shoot RAW + JPEG. But virtually never touch the JPEG's ... only if I need a backup (they go onto a separate card) or want to share something before I have a chance to get back to my computer.

Editing needn't take that long (yes, you can spend hours on it, but you can also just do some quick fixes) as long as you have decent software and personal workflow. I'm using Aftershot, and have toyed with RawTherapee before - so it doesn't have to be Lightroom.

<< - Is wondering when this thread will get locked for going completely off the rails.
Is this better???
hqdefault.jpg

:boogie::bouncingsmileys::allteeth::1219::chuncky::clap::dog::emmersed::frog::courage::applause::alien::1251::1251::345::biggrinangelA::biglaugh::biglaugh:

This thread pops up about every other week I've noticed. I would "search" the forums for similar threads and read through those first.

I would say to always shoot RAW. As long as you've got a memory card that can support it, it doesn't hurt to take RAWs. It gives you more capability to work with later. And if you're worried about it taking long... that's just laziness. Photography in my opinion is an art form, and art takes time and patience.

I am with everyone else for the most part. Generally I shoot RAW. BUT, I won't waste much time on tight wads. If they want it cheap, they get it cheap! For those I would shoot RAW, do a batch conversion to jpg and you get what you get. No PP work, no fancy-schmancy, be thankful they even got photos. Any processing they pay for. Your time, equipment and knowledge has value. If they don't pay for it, they don't get it. But that is just my feelings on the subject. Others may not agree with me.

If I agree to do a shoot for a client, regardless of how much I agreed to work for, they get as good a product as I can produce. I do not base the quality of my work or effort on how much someone is paying me.
If someone is not willing to pay me what I consider a fair amount for my work, I simply turn down the job.
Every picture I hand over to a client is representative of my body of work, and once bad work is out there, it often rears its ugly head when least expected. What would I tell a potential client who sees work of mine that was lower quality because I did a job cheap for someone? "Oh, don't pay any attention to those mediocre photos I gave your friend...they were cheap so I didn't do my best for them"? Not a conversation I want to have. Ever.

That's actually my point. The original poster said "BUT, I am also some what new and can't charge an arm and a leg in my area just because EVERYONE knows someone that does photography and will get the "hook up" from a friend that does it.". Clearly if that is how the market is in that area it is because it was made that way by people who under sell the quality of the work they produce. Is it worth losing a client if they don't value your work? Absolutely. And the business model as described WILL result in failure due to the fact that the "market" in their area doesn't value their work thanks to non-professionals who work for cheap. Folks, let the people who do it for cheap or free have the clients that don't value your work. Go after the clients who respect and value good work. If you can't afford from a business stand-point to give them what they pay for, then as Pixmedic said, don't take the job... They just aren't worth it and you can't run a business that way.

Nevermind ... RAW, in the OP's situation, is the best choice.
(Not to say RAW is always the best choice in every situation.)

Last edited:
I local couple asked me to shoot their marriage at the Celebrant's Office.

It will be a 30min commitment and I'll have to waste a lunch break doing it.

I'm not getting paid, and since they want cheap, I'm just going to use my Iphone and I'll just txt them the photos when I'm done (downsized of course).

I'm not getting paid, and since they want cheap, I'm just going to use my Iphone and I'll just txt them the photos when I'm done (downsized of course).

Will you be needing a second shooter?

Make sure to have your apple watch with you. You can use it as a remote for your phone thus staying out of the way. Perhaps putting your phone in the Magistraits breast pocket to photograph the bride and groom.

you know what, maybe ill just pull a public records request and get security footage of the event and send them screen grabs.

you know what, maybe ill just pull a public records request and get security footage of the event and send them screen grabs.
Is the security footage in Raw, JPEG or some other format. Sounds like a lot of post processing work if you us the security footage.

I can just take pictures with my camera in jpg (low) of the screen.

It says you quoted me... but I don't see what it is you quoted!

Sorry - I edited out my original reply after thinking what I had said was not relevant in THIS thread.

What I was saying was that not all photographs are "art" - which is the point you had made. The example I was going to illustrate was sports photography with deadlines. So one might have 800 - 1000 keepers which need to be processed and uploaded the next day - or submissions that day.
In THIS situation, it makes more sense to shoot in JPEG ... which is what a lot of sports photographers do (me included).

However, I then went back to the OP's original message and in their situation RAW made a lot more sense. So what I was going to say, was not really relevant in this thread.

I was just going to point out that, in some situations, it makes more sense to shoot JPEG rather than RAW. I shoot JPEG for my sports but RAW for my personal stuff.

Sorry - I edited out my original reply after thinking what I had said was not relevant in THIS thread.

What I was saying was that not all photographs are "art" - which is the point you had made. The example I was going to illustrate was sports photography with deadlines. So one might have 800 - 1000 keepers which need to be processed and uploaded the next day - or submissions that day.
In THIS situation, it makes more sense to shoot in JPEG ... which is what a lot of sports photographers do (me included).

However, I then went back to the OP's original message and in their situation RAW made a lot more sense. So what I was going to say, was not really relevant in this thread.

I was just going to point out that, in some situations, it makes more sense to shoot JPEG rather than RAW. I shoot JPEG for my sports but RAW for my personal stuff.

Oh great. Fights have started around here over lesser concepts. Usually revolving around what is or is not art. This may get good now..........

:popcorn: :lol:

Jpeg = the Camera telling you what "it" thinks you want.

RAW is "you" telling the camera what you actually want in post.

I'll have to disagree. Although I too shoot in RAW I must say that the camera never tells you what it wants. The user is always in control. Well maybe not with every cameras body out there but most modern camera have the option for customized picture settings via the software that came with it as well as some control in-camera.

Again, I'll always agree that RAW is the best choice but to say shooting in jpeg gives away all control is completely false.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back