Photoshop Canvas Size giving me a hard time

awe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Either I'm too stupid to understand how the "Canvas Size..." dialog in Photoshop works, or something's seriously wrong.
Usually, I want a 1 pixel border first and after that a bigger one with the opposite color (e.g. white, then black). The big border is never a problem, but the small one works only sometimes: often, the border is created just at two sides (usually on the right and at the bottom). What am I doing wrong?

Anchor is set to the middle, and it doesn't matter if I work with relative or absolute values.

Make sure the centre of the canvas size is selected and you'll get the border around all of your image. Make sure relative is selected too and you add 1 pixel to both axis.

Make sure the centre of the canvas size is selected and you'll get the border around all of your image. Make sure relative is selected too and you add 1 pixel to both axis.
That's exactly what I do every time, but it doesn't seem to work. But thanks anyway!

If you are doing this to a high res document, ie, larger than your screen resolution, and you have it scaled down below 100%, some small strokes and lines will be hidden. Be sure and check it at 100% to make sure it's not working. I know you said anchor is set in the middle, but just double check :p

I just tried it and guess what!!! I only see the 1 pixel border down the right edge and bottom edge!! :)

No matter whether high or low res!!!

Looks like you'll need to select all (CtrlA) and add a white 1 pixel stroke around the inside of the image.

Weird!

@Digital Matt:
Hehe, I always checked at 100%, and yes, anchor is set to the middle :)

@EOS_JD:
Yeah, that really sucks. But it's getting even weirder: I found out that it usually doesn't work with a PSD that contains more than one layer. However, if I convert the file to a bitmap (which of course has only one "layer") it works, but only if I choose 2 pixels. Those 2 pixels are then displayed as 1. I'm serious.

Yes I saw that! Weird! I was trying with a tif. So doesn't work with tifs and I tried with a low res jpg which didn't work either!

The stroke works just as well though :)

Did you only increase the numbers by one? If you did that means you are only increasing the whole picture by 1 pixel each direction. Try 2 pixels and you should get a 1 pixel border around the whole thing. Basically, if your picture is 200x300 pixels don't change it to 201x301, change it to 202x302. You must take into account you are adding to two sides each direction.

If you add 2 pixels, you'll get 1 on one side, and 2 on the other. It is a glitch. This dialogue is supposed to add canvas uniformly to all sides when the anchor is in the middle.

Doesn't work in CS2 or CS3 with mine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back