Photoshop CS a little slow?

Rob A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
hey guys, i have just got adobe photoshop CS and when im opening files etc... its alot slower than 7.0 and sometimes it seems to take longer doing the actions such as magic wand etc... does this happen to you at all?

thanks

AFAIK the new CS version has more add-ins and libraries and stuff than 7 standard or elements, which is why it takes longer to open up. Some tools have greater granularity i.e. they select items using more complex algorithms to do the job better - therefore there's a latency issue with things like the magic wand.

I heard somewhere that Adobe products have a registry entry which delays the splash screen by a number of seconds and that you can turn this off to speed initial loading. My home computer is so lovely and fast compared to my day-job P.O.S. that I don't worry about it. It really isn't an issue if you always have PS open anyway!

If you follow the Microsoft tweak tips for XP (assuming that's what you're running) and set the Performance Options - Visual Elements to best performance, Advanced to Background Services, Memory to system cache and the virtual memory to a fixed size. Photoshop will then perform significantly better. To get to all these things, right click on My Computer, Properties (or Control Panel, System) and click the advanced tab.
R

I have noticed a difference for sure, since we upgraded at work. We got the entire creative suite, and they are all slower. I really notice the slow down when paging back and forth between Indesign and Photoshop. I have a p4 3ghz with 1 gig of ram at work and it still is a little slow sometimes.

I only really have CS, but I have about 2.8ghz and 1gig o ram and it runs great on this machine...but maybe that cause my old comp had something like 256 ram...so its bound to run faster I guess.......Well anyways...im very happy with its speed :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back