britonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.btonkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good book to learn Photoshop CS2 from? I have used paintshop pro in the past so I have a basic knowledge of graphics packages but I need more info on how to work with layers in photoshop etc..

I looked at the "dummies guide" on amazon as these are usually quite good for learning the basics but it got a bad review from someone who seemed to know what they were talking about.

I could really do with something that starts at the begging and takes you through the whole thing - preferably with tutorials...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PS CS2 for Digital Photogs by Kelby is a good start. It's not comprehensive at all, but is has quick and easy tips. Also the Workbook series from Adobe. Also the One on One series from Deke McClelland. Also, I would highly recommend Photoshop User Magazine and web site. They have a ton of tutorials that are short and helpful.

It's a huge program that has a learning curve, so it's probably good to have specific goals and take small bites. For instance, are you more interested in preparing for the web or for print?

Finally, I would suggest learning color management. Once you have that in line, the rest will go much faster.

Good luck.

This website has loads of links to nice tutorials, not an organised book, but once you play around with all kinds of different parts of the program you already know your way around the program to give you a head start. At least, that's how I started, I assume others prefer to read books first...

http://www.good-tutorials.com/

Another vote for Scott Kelby.

Also check out Dr. Brown.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Jazz - I would be looking to use it for both prints and to upload to the web but probably mostly for uploading to the web.

It is a huge program - I think that's why it is difficult - it's a little overwhelming to start with. The interface is very customizable though which helps. :)

Someone recommend the Scott Kelby book to me, I'm just starting out too.

Scott Kelby. Very good stuff, well illustrated, though he's probably funnier in person than in print.

Most reactions

Back