Photoshop CS2 or Something Newer for DAM?

badfrog88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have CS2 installed on my laptop, but I have yet to use it. I'm just getting back into photography (my wife has been taking most of the family pictures lately) and I'm beginning to try and catalog all of the CDs we have that were created at the local Wal-Mart, etc. I'm also planning on having our film negatives digitized.

I'm currently shooting my new dSLR in JPEG, but may switch to RAW. As a hobbyist, I'm not sure if it would be necessary.

Will CS2 work as part of a DAM scheme for now or should I get something newer? The other software I currently have is what came with my camera (NXview, and another I can't remember the name of) and Graphic Workshop Professional (I've used this in the past to do batch file conversions).

Since I just spent about twice what I had originally planned on a camera my current software budget is quite limited.

You would use Bridge, not CS2.

Bridge is a separate application from CS.

Bridge has some limitations though because it is a browser, not a database manager.

How many photos total are you talking about? 10,000? 100,000?

Hi, I'm new to this site.
I'm not familiar with the term "DAM" scheme but if you're looking for a cataloger / viewer program as part of a work flow with CS2 consider ACDSee Photo Manager 12.

You can open any image you want in CS2 directly from ACDSee.

I don't have an exact count of the photographs, but less than 10,000.

You don't really need DAM then and some good organization and a browser will do just fine. You might want to invest in the book listed below, none the less.

Hi, I'm new to this site.
I'm not familiar with the term "DAM" scheme but if you're looking for a cataloger / viewer program as part of a work flow with CS2 consider ACDSee Photo Manager 12.

You can open any image you want in CS2 directly from ACDSee.

Digital Asset Management - DAM

The DAM Book Digital Asset Management for Photographers, by Peter Krough

I would suggest looking into ACDSee 12 or ACDSee Pro 3. If you are thinking of switching to RAW, definitely lean toward ACDSee Pro 3. (12 views RAW, Pro 3 allows you to view & edit RAW.)

ACDSee will help you organize those photos and keep them organized. In addition, you will be able to easily edit the photos without opening a second editing program. Allowing you quickly fine tune or crop the photos. Both ACDSee have a feature where it allows you to edit the images with "non-destructive" editing. In the future, if you wanted to you can restore the original.

Both version have 30 day full trial so you can try it out and see if you like it.

Most reactions

Back