Photoshop CS2 Question

Leo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you achieve this kind of result? B&W with a red bouqet. I still could not figure it out.

wedTBhall.jpg

Its kind of a selective colour effect...... there are many ways to do this.... here's one fairly easy way.

Get the image how you want it...... the one above is slightly desaturated..... then duplicate the layer and just really bring out the red in the flowers using hue/sat or colour balance...... dont worry about the rest of the image. Then put this layer underneath the desaturated one.

Now on the desaturated layer add a layer mask (on the bottom of the layers pallet)...... or 'image'.....'add layer mask'.

Click on the layer mask and using a black brush start painting on the flowers..... it should reveal the bright red image underneath...... and thats it..... zoom in further and use a smaller brush to tidy it up.

There are other methods..... including erasing the rest of the bright red layer..... but i find the above the best way...... if your still unsure then google 'layer mask tutorials' and you'll find something there. ;)

Archangel said:
the one above is slightly desaturated.....

Hmmm i haven't done this before but im quoting myself....... im not so sure this image is desaturated looking at it again..... it could just be a case of subtle colour with the light catching the red...... im unsure.

But your original question was for b+w with red bouqet, so the method i used is still ok.

The way I usually do it is first convert to BW (whatever method you prefer), and then make a New Layer out of the BW photo. Then, paste a copy of that BW layer on top of a colored version. After that, use the eraser and erase whatever part of the top layer where you want color to come through. Once you get it the way you like it, flatten the image.

thanks for all your replies, i'll try and do it tonight

Kent Frost said:
The way I usually do it is first convert to BW (whatever method you prefer), and then make a New Layer out of the BW photo. Then, paste a copy of that BW layer on top of a colored version. After that, use the eraser and erase whatever part of the top layer where you want color to come through. Once you get it the way you like it, flatten the image.

This is the same method I use and in my opinion it's the easiest. Keep the original as the background and duplicate it. Make any adjustments to the duplicate (desaturation.... whatever) and then erase whatever parts you want the original to show through. Pretty basic... the hardest part is probably the selection process.

I don't use selection, I just get the right sized brush and make sure it's on the softest mode it can be, then I just zoom in to a comfortable magnification and start erasing. Anywhere I mess up, I set the history marker to the point before I erased, then I brush the history back in to that part of the image.

That's the cool thing about Photoshop... there are millions of ways to get the same result.

I agree using the eraser or history brush is the quickest way to achieve this look....... but its certainly not the best......... you wont find any pro's using these techniques...... layer masks have far more advantages in the long run ;)

Also try: enter quickmask. Use soft brush to mask area of color to protect. Image>adjustments>hue/saturation. Bring Saturation down until black and white. Then, select the colorize box and slide Hue to left to get sepia tone. You might also need to increase contrast slightly. Then deselect (or deselect before you adjust contrast).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back