Photoshop CS2 Vs. Photoshop Lightroom

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by charlie88, Dec 11, 2006.

1. charlie88

charlie88 TPF Noob!

Okay so not only am I a newbie in DSLR but also in programs like Photoshop CS2 &. Photoshop Lightroom. I recently download both of the free trials, but what would be your experience with either of these product? If you can compare and contrast. There Pros and Cons. Please, Thank you.

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    They are not two competing programs. They are designed to work together as a complete digital photography workflow. Lightroom is only in a beta stage right now, so it's not even worth mentioning. It has a long way to go before final production.

Photoshop can do minor editing and finishing, or it can completely transform an image. It's a very powerful professional program, and is the industry standard image editor.

What is your experience in photography? What types of things do you photograph, and what is your intended output?

3. charlie88

charlie88 TPF Noob!

I have very little experience in photography. Mostly I photograph Landscapes & portraits. I hope to one to get the hang of photography as a hobby.

4. Hey, you're in LA. Luck is on your side. The town is FULL of great courses on how to use Photoshop (and SLRs, too, btw.)

Check out UCLA Extension for good classes, as well as Julia Dean. both have their new schedules up, and many of the best classes are weeknights. (EDIT - Julia Dean doesn't have the new schedule up, but it will be posted in the next few days.)

Do you know the basics of photography, but are new to digital? Then you MUST take a really killer class at UCLA by Craig Mohr called Intermediate Digital Photography. Run a search for Course No. S5041U - best money ever spent. There's also one or two days of Photoshop, but there are other more intensive classes at UCLA covering that. Run a search on the words photography on their site, or photoshop.

Julia Dean has a ton of great classes, check out all the Photoshop ones, and they have a full computer lab (with pen-tablets!) at their locations.

For what it's worth, I'm really good with computers and software, and I couldn't figure out PS without some real education. Take a class, it will accelerate your learning curve and make it much more fun. And as a plus, they start in 3 weeks :)

5. charlie88

charlie88 TPF Noob!

This sounds like a great and amazing idea. I'm might take it up. It might turn out to be a great investment.

6. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I wouldnt say CS vs Lightroom - I would say CS AND Picassa (as Picassa does what Lightroom looks to be trying to accomplish). CS2 costs money, Picassa is free.

If you do MINOR - and I mean MINOR - alterations to your photographs, then Picassa may well be all you need.

7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Adobe Lightroom is a workflow optimised RAW-Converter, and as such plays in the league of Apple Aperture, Phase One, Bibble, Breeze Browser and such.

Picasa is more a program to organise your JPEGs as far as I understand. There are probably hundreds of other free and not so free programs which allow you to do that. These programs all do not replace the darkroom of the old days as the RAW converters do.

8. gizmo2071

gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    GIMP is a free photo editing suite.
    Pretty good aswell :D

9. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes, but we have to compare programs which actually are the same sort of programs.

-GIMP and Photoshop are in the group of graphic/editing/manipulation programs .. which have poor (if any) RAW conversion capabilities.

-Lightroom and Aperture and all those are programs specifically designed for "developing digital negatives" (RAW) in an optimised workflow for photographers.

-Picasa, XnView, ACDsee are image viewer with limited (if any) image manipulation features, often based on rather poor algorithms.

10. Tyson

Tyson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I need a link to gimp, I can't get it to download.

11. Alex_B

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. charlie88

charlie88 TPF Noob!

I don't know yet if they'll be minor or major alterations, just simply because I'm so new to DSLR. But Picassa sound great ( a finish program and free!)... Thank you for the suggestions.